Who does not want to have healthy and young skin? “Increasingly, studies are finding links between certain nutrients and wrinkle reduction, radiance, and acne prevention,” says David Bank, MD, a dermatologist in Mount Kisco, New York. Many foods are chockfull of amazing anti-aging nutrients and anti-oxidants that save skin from impairment and keep the skin beauifully radiant, young and healthy.
Best Super Foods For Healthy Skin
Here are 10 best of my favorite super foods to nourish your skin from the inside and out and how often to eat them:
1. Bell Peppers And Broccoli: Vitamin C, an essentially required nutrient, augments production of collagen – the skin building blocks. In order to have fewer fine lines and wrinkles-free skin, your body critically requires enough collagen.
Recommended serving size: 1 cup fresh or 1 ½ cup cooked per day.
2. Wild Salmon: Omega-3 fatty acids enable the skin to retain moisture, rendering it soft and supple. This nourishing ingredient also conserves the skin natural oils and elasticity.
Recommended serving size: 4 to 6 ounces, 3 times per week
3. Blackberries And Raspberries: Ellagic acid saves the skin from UV rays and thus helps in preventing wrinkles and fine lines.
Recommended serving size: 1 ½ cup fresh or frozen per day
4. Tomatoes: It’s a rich source of lycopene that helps in preventing skin against sun damage. This potent antioxidant gives best results when cooked, so homemade tomato sauce and tomato soup are both great for skin’s health.
Recommended serving size: Aim for at least 1 portion, 5 times per week.
5. Sweet Potatoes: Beta-carotene exterminates free radicals, averting damage to skin cells. The body system transforms beta-carotene into vitamin A, which ward off signs of aging.
Recommended serving size: One per day. Trade with carrots, cantaloupe, or mangoes for similar effect.
6. Yogurt: “You need protein daily to keep your skin firm and more resistant to lines”, says Dr. Wu. Yogurt, especially Greek yogurt is a good source of protein. To quote Dr. Perricone, “Greek yogurt has double the content of protein that a normal yogurt has”.
Recommended serving size: Eat a single serving daily to make your complexion smoother.
7. Green And Yellow Vegetables To Fight Crow’s-Feet: To quote Dr. Wu, “the people who eat green and yellow vegetables regularly tend to have fewer wrinkles, particularly around the eyes,”. Dr. Bank adds “Also, studies found that carotenoids — the antioxidants in yellow and orange veggies — can decrease skin’s sensitivity to the sun”.
Recommended serving size: Aim for about 1 ½ cups daily
8. Pomegranates: Pomegranates are good source of polyphenol antioxidants, which fight free radicals and regulate skin’s blood flow, providing it rosiness”, says Dr. Perricone. Dr. Bank adds “When applied topically to the skin, its antioxidants help smooth lines and moisturize”.
Recommended serving size: 1 pomegranate daily
9. Walnuts: “Being rich source of omega-3 essential fatty acids, they help in enhancing skin’s elasticity,” says Dr. Bank. In addition they soften skin as well. Bonus point is that they are packed with copper – a mineral that raises collagen production, which smoothens and tightens skin.
Recommended serving size: A handful of walnuts each day to boost your complexion’s texture
10. Kiwi: When we talk of vitamin C, orange is not the top pick. Just a single kiwi can provide you mare than the daily requirement for this skin-friendly nutrient. Does it not make this fuzzy skinned fruit your skin’s best buddy?
A report in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition stated that larger intakes of vitamin C were coupled with slowed-down skin-aging appearance. Vitamin C’s role in the synthesis of the structural protein collagen renders it a strong confederate in the quest of fetching a healthy complexion.
Recommended serving size: 1 kiwi daily
Are you eating any other food to keep your skin healthy? Please share with us.