Tips on Best Homemade Hair Treatments For Dry Hair – To make your hair Silky, Shiny and Healthy
In this article, you will find tips on the homemade best treatments for dry hair to have Silky, shiny and healthy hair. Dry Hair can be caused by both external and internal factors.
What Causes Dry Hair
Dry Hair causes can be broadly categorized into external and internal factors as given here under:
External Causes Of Dry Hair Are
(i) Over exposure to sun and wind;
(ii) Hard water or high mineral contents in the local water supplies;
(iii) Harsh shampoo or shampooing too often;
(iv) Hair dye;
(v) Too much use of hair dryer or curling iron; and
(v) Hair Perming.
Internal Causes Of Dry Hair Are
(i) Extended Illness;
(ii) Cancer Treatment;
(iii) Certain Medications; and
(iv) Nutritional Insufficiency.
Best Hair Treatments for Dry Hair: Whereas External causes are easier to treat; the internal factors take time to get treated. The first best hair treatment for dry hair is to just avoid or cut down the external factors listed above that cause your hair to become dry. Like covering your head when you are going out in the sun for extended period, change your shampoo or hair products you are using.
Here are given Home Treatments for Dry Hair:
1. Do not use hot combs, hot rollers, blow dryer and irons often: Find a soft towel and air-dry your hair instead. If you need to use artificial heat, keep the heat setting at lower level, reduce the length of time you blow-dry and avoid stretching or pulling the hair while drying.
2. Cover your head: While going out in sun heat, protect your hair with a hat or headscarf. If you want to sunbathe, use a conditioner that contains sunscreen.
3. Shampoo Care Tips as Best Hair Treatment for Dry Hair:
(i) Do not shampoo your hair too often or apply too much shampoo, as it would strip away the natural oil from your hair. Even cutting down shampooing to every other day, instead of doing it daily, will improve condition of your dry hair.
(ii) Avoid using Shampoo always with every washing. On some days just rinse your hair with water.
(iii) A gentle shampoo stimulates your oil glands, so you probably should not go longer than two / three days without shampooing your hair.
(iv) Choose Shampoo and conditioners that contain humectants. Humectants help in holding moisture onto your hair.
(v) Use shampoo having pH between 4.5 to 6.7, as it is good for dry hair.
(vi) Go for low pH shampoos as they do not cause the cuticles to lift and so are good for dry hair. The cuticles when lifted can cause hair to dry out badly. The cuticles are the outermost protective layer over a strand of hair.
(vii) Use mild shampoos with acidifiers as they help to flatten and fix the lifted, separated cuticle scales.
(viii) While choosing a shampoo, look for one which has ingredients like Zinc Pyrithione, Selenium Sulfide, or coal-tar.
(ix) Use Shampoos and conditioners which add moisture to your hair.
(x) Message shampoos on hair away from scalp, not on the area where the hair are in contact with your scalp.
(xi) Be tender while lathering and avoid tugging or pulling, as it can cause hair breakage. Do not brush your wet hair.
4. Conditioner Care Tips as Best Home Treatment for Dry Hair:
(i) Dry hair needs regular conditioning. Condition your hair after every shampoo.
(ii) Condition your hair on regular basis, once a week is minimum suggested.
(iii) Select hair products that contain no or little alcohol.
(iv) Consider applying over-night conditioner and rinse of your hair in the morning.
(v) Also keep in mind that the products with little fragrance are normally low in alcohol as well, so use products which do not have high fragrance.
5. Hot Oil Treatment Tips – Best At Home Hair Treatment for Dry Hair: Consider applying over-the-counter hot oil treatment to repair your dry and damaged hair. Follow the instructions given on the package and apply hot oil on your hair and let it be there for 15-20 minutes. Wear a shower cap over your hair while hot oil is on, and then wash your hair with a gentle shampoo.
6. Nutrition Dry Hair Care Tips : You need to have balanced nutrition, containing essential fatty acids and adequate proteins, Vitamins A, C, E and calcium. Malnutrition is also one of the dry hair causes.
7. Keep yourself hydrated: Drink a lot of water. This will help maintaining moisture in your body and hair.
8. Avoid Too Much Hair Treatments: Do not go for frequent treatments, like perming, dyeing, using hot rollers, using irons, etc. If you want to have permanent waves or straightening of your hair, etc. go for them but with time gaps in between as much as possible. Keep in mind that hair treatments like perming, coloring, etc. will aggravate your dry hair problem, hence do them occasionally, when essential.
9. Use Hair Products free from Chemicals:
(i) Shampoos and conditioners that contain humectants are recommended, as humectants attract moisture to the hair and keep them moist.
(ii) Use less often the hair spray, mousse, hair gels and styling cream that contain chemicals. Using them too often will irritate your scalp and damage your hair.
10. Apple Cider Vinegar – A Homemade Hair Treatment For Dry Hair: Mix ¼ cup of Apple Cider into a small basin of water and soak your hair into it. You can also try a conditioner made by adding 2 cups of water with ½ cup of Apple Cider Vinegar. Apply this solution after rinsing out your shampoo, and let it be on your hair for a few minutes before washing your hair thoroughly to control dandruff and give a healthy shine to your hair.
11. Brushing Care: Too much brushing can fracture your dry hair. Dry hair is fragile and is more defenseless to excessive brushing. Never brush your hair when it is wet. Rather use a wide teeth comb for wet hair. Use rubberized tips brush, as they do not pull your hair.
12. Some more Dry Hair Tips:
(i) Never use mousse on dry and brittle hair. Use a thickening lotion.
(ii) Every six weeks snip worn out / split ends.
(iii) Message your scalp with little olive or coconut oil before going to bed. Cover your hair with a cap and leave it over-night. In the morning shampoo and rinse out the oil.
(iv) Eat nuts and seeds as snacks. They contain essential fatty acids, which are good for dry hair.
Follow the above outlined tips on Best Home Treatments for Dry Hair to have Silky, Shiny and Healthy Hair.
Useful Related Article: