You may like the kids having freckles on their faces, but when you are grown up you dislike having freckles on your skin. Everyone wants to get rid of freckles and has flawless and even tone skin.
What freckles look like? Freckles are flat, round and brown tiny spots in the size of a needle or nail tips that appear on one’s skin. They occur on the skin of men as well as women. Although they develop because of skin damage, but they are harmless. They are frowned upon and most people like either to lighten or get rid of them from their faces in order to have flawless skin.
The most common causes for freckles are too much exposure to the sun, genes, hormonal imbalance, etc. They can occur on all over your body, but mostly they occur on areas that are often exposed to the sun. The people with fair skin that is sensitive to the sun are more likely to have them. These spots are slightly darker than the surrounding areas of the skin.
Do you want to get rid of freckles? Find here 3 approaches, namely, home remedies, preventive measures, and freckle removing treatments to remove your freckles.
Get Rid Of Freckles – Home Remedies For Lightening Freckles
1. Lemon Juice: Lemon juice is an effective natural bleaching agent that can be applied to lighten freckles as well as brown spots, and make them disappear over time. Lemon juice has natural lightening properties that work effectively to lighten and remove freckles. It is the best natural cure that can be used to get rid of any blemish, including pigmentation levels of freckles.
Squeeze a lemon and apply its juice on the affected areas of the skin, using your fingers and massaging it gently. Let the lemon juice soak into your skin for 10-15 minutes, and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Apply this home remedy twice a day to lighten and get rid of freckles over time.
2. Sour Cream: Sour cream / milk contain lactic acid that helps in getting rid of freckles. Apply some sour cream directly over the affected skin areas and let it soak into your skin till it dries up. Instead of washing it off your face with water, wipe it off gently with a soft tissue or a towel. The lactic acid in sour cream or milk will peel away the upper layer of your skin. This home remedy to lighten and remove freckles does not cause dryness or skin irritation. Use this remedy at least once daily until you get rid of freckles.
Alternative option is to wash the affected skin areas with sour milk daily. If you do not have access to sour milk, you can use yogurt which is equally good.
3. Honey: Mix honey with water and warm the mixture a little bit. Apply this mixture over the affected areas and let it sit there for some time. Rinse it off with lukewarm water. Alternatively, you can make an at home herbal face mask of wheat germ and warmed up honey. Mix these two ingredients and apply over the freckles. Let it sit there for 10-15 minutes, wash it off with lukewarm water first and then again with cold water. If you like you can also try instead a mixture of yogurt and honey. Apply it over the affected areas for 30 minutes daily and then rinse it off.
4. Fruit Masks and Peels: Try this at home face mask made of fruits by blending 2 strawberries, a small piece of papaya, some cucumber and pineapple. Apply this homemade face mask on the affected areas, and rinse it off after 15 minutes.
Fruit Peels: Blending fruits together, applying onto your face, and then let them sit on your face till they dry out is the best natural way to peel off the top damaged layer of your skin to fade away the freckles. The gummy fruits mask after drying out glue to your skin. Gently wipe off the dried mask which will help to peel away the damaged skin cells.
You can make a fruits peel by blending together strawberries and kiwi. Apply it over your face focusing on the areas affected with freckles. Allow the mixture to dry out entirely. Peel off the dried fruit, and then wash your face with water.
5. Papaya: Papaya contains papain, an enzyme that can help to lighten and get rid of freckles. Mash a ripe papaya and apply over the affected areas. After it has dried out, rinse it off with some cold water. This remedy helps in lightening and removing freckles and other kinds of blemishes. It also makes your skin healthy and soft.
A useful tip is that as the freckles can re-appear due to a change in climate, you must apply the above remedies for a longer period so as to keep the freckles at bay.
Get Rid Of Freckles – Preventive Measures
It’s always said prevention is better than cure, especially when the medical treatments are expensive. Freckles can occur due to genes. We can do nothing about it, except to curse the stars. Here we will deal with the freckles that occur over time due to sun exposure. Normally they go away in winters, but they reappear every summer if you don’t take sun exposure solutions to protect your skin against the sun’s rays.
1. You need to start applying sun-protection measures from a younger age. That is the time when you are likely to spend more time outside playing.
2. Choose sunscreens with an SPF value according to the environmental conditions around you. The more your exposure is to the sun rays, higher should be the SPF. Apply sunscreen on all areas that are exposed to the sun, as freckles can appear anywhere.
3. Avoid the sun during the times between 10 am to 4 pm, as this is the time when the sun-rays are the strongest.
4. Make sure that you apply sunscreen after every few hours, while you are out in the sun. As the so called sweat proof or water proof sunscreens are seldom effective.
5. Wear broad-brimmed hat and try to remain in shade as much as possible. This is particularly required in case of those having fair skin, light or red hair and light eyes, as they are more likely to have genes that can cause freckles.
6. The people who have sensitivity to heat need to be more careful, as they are likely to get their skin sun-damaged that can expose them to malignant skin cancer in the future.
Vitamin C To Get Rid Of Freckles
Vitamin C helps in lightening freckles. So include in your diet those foods that are rich in vitamin C, like citrus fruits, kiwis, spinach and other green leafy vegetables. Alternatively, you can take vitamin C supplements with the advice of your doctor.
Freckles Removal Treatments
The third technique to remove freckles is the over-the-counter creams or medical treatments. But these can be expensive.
1. Skin Lightening Creams: You can get over-the-counter skin lightening creams that work as freckle remover. They are designed to remove freckles and are based on different ingredients. They work to remove both types of freckles, natural as well as sun-related. For best results first read the label and then apply it accordingly.
(i) You can choose a cream that contains licorice extract which is known for its skin lightening properties.
(ii) Another type of variant available is with aloe Vera. It serves dual purpose; first it lightens the skin and second it moisturizes your skin as well. It does not have side effects.
(iii) Some other creams have chemicals, such as hydroquinone and oxybenzone. They are effective in lightening the skin, but also have skin damaging effects. Before choosing such creams, you must read the label first for possible side effects and test it by applying it on your skin.
2. Microdermabrasion: This freckle removal treatment uses a jet of minute particles to remove the top layer of skin and in the process lighten freckles. This procedure is normally carried out over a number of sessions.
3. Other medical treatments include chemical peels and laser freckle removal technique. But before choosing any of these medical treatments, you must consult your doctor.
(i) You must apply sunscreens a couple of times during the day when you are out in the sun. As there is no such thing as sweat-proof or water-proof sunscreens.
(ii) For many people the freckles fade away in winters and reappear when summer comes. They are advised to take preventive measures as outlined above.
(iii) The sun-rays have most damaging effect during hours from 10 am to 4 pm.
(iv) Eat lots fruits and vegetables that contain vitamin C, like citrus fruits and spinach.
Useful Related Posts: