Does your hair look weighed down with oily substance? Does it give you a feeling as if someone has put Vaseline in your hair? In majority of the cases the oily hair is hereditary, and not due to hygiene habits. Although oily hair is upsetting and troublesome, but it can be easily controlled with the following oily hair treatments at home. Follow these simple tips and use special oil-stopping rinses that you can make yourself at home – and you’ll be on the way to the hair you’ve always wanted.
Best Oily Hair Treatments
1. Shampoo for Oily Hair: A lot of shampoos available on marker have all kinds of additives and conditioners in them. Oily hair needs is a good solvent-type, clarifying shampoo, which can cut the grease and strip oil from the scalp and the hair shaft.
Natural Beauty Tips For Selecting A Good Shampoo For Oily Hair:
(i) Choose a shampoo that’s high in sodium lauryl sulfate and low in any kind of conditioners such as lanolin.
(ii) Even if you don’t have dandruff, consider using a dandruff shampoo that contains coal tar. The formulas used for dandruff shampoos tend to dry out even the oiliest hair.
(iii) While normal hair requires a shampoo with a pH (meaning its acid/base balance) between 4.5 and 6.7, the oily hair needs a more alkaline (or base) product. Opt for shampoos with pH higher than 6.7; or simply, those that are labeled for use on oily hair.
2. How To Wash Oily Hair: For extremely greasy hair, shampooing every day is a good idea. Lather up, leave the shampoo on your hair for 1-2 minutes so as to give it time to remove the oil and then rinse thoroughly. Moreover, if shampooing once you feel that your hair is still oily then shampoo your hair a second time. Even on the second round, leave the shampoo in your hair for 1-2 minutes before you rinse.
Natural Beauty Tip: Whatever shampoo you use, make sure to rinse your hair thoroughly. Otherwise the lather residue will only collect dirt and make your hair oily more quickly.
3. Steer Clear Of Using Conditioners. Conditioners are meant to coat the hair with something that oily hair doesn’t need. However, if ends of your hair dry out, apply just tiny amount of a conditioner only to the hair tips.
Natural Treatment For Oily Hair With Home Remedies
4. Hair Rinse With Tea: Rinsing your hair with water is fine, but to get better results try rinsing your hair with a strong rosemary tea. Amazingly aromatic, this wonderful tea-herb is rich with essential oils that can help control overproduction of sebum (natural oil) on the scalp.
How To Make Rosemary Tea Rinse: Take 2 tablespoons of dried rosemary leaves in a cup and pour boiling water over it. Let the mixture steep and brew for about 20 minutes, strain, cool, and pour it into a jar. Keep the jar nearby your shower. After shampooing and rinsing with water, splash your hair with the tea. So long as you like the fragrance, there’s no need to rinse away the tea.
5. Rinse Hair With Lemon Juice: Mix the equivalent of juice from 2 lemons with 2 cup water and pour the mixture into an empty shampoo bottle. After you shower, pat your hair dry and apply the lemon juice hair rinse to your scalp. Let it sit for about 5 minutes, allowing the acidic lemon juice to work on the oily hair. Then rinse with cool water. Lemon juice can help control shampoo buildup, too.
6. Vinegar Rinse For Oily Hair: Cider vinegar is acidic so can de-slick your hair. Combine 1-cup cider vinegar with 1-cup water, and then pour this concoction over your hair as a final rinse. Are you apprehensive about smelling like a salad? Don’t worry; the smell will fade away after some time. Vinegar rinse helps remove nasty shampoo buildup also.
7. Alcohol Rinse For Oily Hair: Any type of alcoholic beverage has an effective drying effect. The higher the alcohol contents the better it will work. Combine a shot glass full of alcohol with a couple cups of water and rinse through your hair. Make sure to rinse it out completely.
8. Best Treatment For Oily Hair: Try mouthwash if your hair is extremely oily. You can make this concoction at home that will help cut back on the over-production of sebum (natural oil) on your scalp. Mix equal parts of witch hazel with a good quality mouthwash. Both ingredients work as astringents, which means they help tighten skin pores as they dry. Dip a cotton swab in the mixture, then dab the swab on your scalp (not your hair) after you finish shampooing and rinsing.
So, now try the above remedies to treat your oily hair and enjoy beautiful & smooth looking tresses.
Useful Related Posts:
(ii) Oily Hair Remedies