Dry hair lacks shine and looks dull. It is also prone to breakage, behaves more like flying away hair and unmanageable at times. You are often required to struggle to have sleek and stylish hair style with dry hair.
Dry Hair develops when your hair lacks moisture. This lessens its luster and makes your hair looks lifeless and frizzy. It can occur with any one, irrespective of gender or age.
Why is My Hair So Dry?
Both external as well as internal factors can cause Dry Hair.
The primary external factors that can cause those sheen-less locks are:
(i) Harsh shampoo or other chemical hair products that you are using;
(ii) Too much of shampooing;
(iii) Using hair styling tools too often, like hair blow dryer , curling iron and hair straighteners;
(iv) Using hair dyes;
(v) Hair perms;
(vi) Over exposure to harmful environments, like sun rays and winds;
(vii) Hard water, i.e., water with high mineral contents;
(viii) Chlorine water in swimming pool.
On the other hand, the internal factors causing dry hair include:
(i) Cancer treatment;
(ii) Protracted illness;
(iii) Nutritional insufficiencies; and
(iv) Some medications.
How To Fix Dry Hair
The internal factors take longer time to get fixed and sometimes cannot be treated unless the underlying illness is cured. On the other hand the external factors are easy to fix. If you know which of the dry hair causes is the culprit in your case, it would become easy to treat dry hair. Just focus on cutting back the activities that are causing dry hair. Switch the hair products you are using, wear a cap while swimming, cover your hair while going out in the sun for extended periods and follow the easy home remedies outlined here below for dry hair.
Home Remedies For Dry Hair
1. Cut down the usage of hair styling tools: These tools, like curling irons, hot rollers, blow dryers steal away moisture from your hair. If you must use these tools then space out their usage as much as possible. Or use them once a while on special occasions.
2. Avoid direct sun rays: The direct sunlight robs moisture off your hair. Use umbrella or broad brimmed hat to cover your head and hair while going out for prolonged periods.
3. Avoid washing your hair with hot water: Hot water strips your hair off natural oils and causes hair to become dry. Instead wash with cool water, as it locks in the moisture and keep intact hair shine. In winters you may use warm water, if you like.
4. Do not shampoo your hair often: Too much shampooing robs natural oils off your hair, as many shampoos contain harsh cleansing agents. Instead use an organic gentle shampoo to stimulate your hair oil glands. Normally twice a week is good enough. But if you have oily hair, use shampoo every alternate day.
The best hair shampoo for dry hair is that which contains a pH of between 4.5 and 6.7. As a thumb rule, don’t choose a hair shampoo that you would not apply on your face. Also never use baby shampoos, as there pH content is very high.
5. Hair Conditioner must for Dry Hair: Choose a hair conditioner with no or very little alcohol. Alcohol strips away moisture and natural oils off your hair. A rule of thumb is conditioners that have no or little fragrance tend to contain either no alcohol or be low in alcohol. In case you are having extremely dry hair, consider applying an overnight conditioner that you can apply before sleeping at night. To avoid being messy, wear a shower cap or cover your head and hair with a towel while sleeping.
6. Hot Oil Deep Conditioning Dry Hair Treatment: Hot oil treatments are the best remedy for dry, damaged hair. Go for an over-the-counter hot oil treatment and use it as per the instructions given on the label.
Alternatively, you can use following best natural beauty tips at home hot oil deep hair conditioning for dry hair:
(i) Mix 4 to 6 drops of lavender, sandalwood and bay oil with 6 oz. of warm soy oil or flaxseed oil. Blend this mixture well so as to get a consistently uniform solution.
(ii) Warm up this solution and massage gently to the ends of your hair, and half way up the hair shaft, avoiding hair roots.
(iii) Wrap a warm towel around your head, leaving it there for 15-20 minutes. The warm oil mixture tends to penetrate the hair follicle to provide the required moisture and in the process hydrate your hair.
(iv) Wash your hair with a mild organic shampoo twice. You don’t have to use conditioner after you rinse your hair off the oils. Consider applying this hot oil deep conditioning at home treatment twice a month.
Dry Hair Home Remedies Using Natural Ingredients
7. Olive or Coconut Oil For Dry Hair: Massage a little warm olive or coconut oil onto your scalp and hair. Let it sit on your scalp and hair for about 40 minutes and then rinse the oil off your hair with a mild organic shampoo. Best is to apply the oil before you go to bed, leave it on overnight and wash your hair with cool water in the morning.
8. Vinegar – A Great Conditioner: It improves hair cleanliness and provides gloss to your hair. Simply add a teaspoon of vinegar to your final hair rinse to treat your dry hair. Vinegar use on hair also helps in getting rid of dandruff from dry hair. Consider massaging your scalp with vinegar before you shampoo.
You can make your own homemade conditioner for dry hair by adding 1/2 cup of vinegar to 2 cups of water. Massage this conditioner gently onto your hair after you shampoo, leave it there for few minutes, and then rinse it off thoroughly with cool water. For a stronger treatment to control dandruff, you can use the same method, but keep the mixture on your hair for up to 45 minutes. This vinegar rinse not only controls dandruff and hair frizziness, but is also an effective treatment for dry, damaged hair.
9. Avocado: You can use avocado alone or mix it with overripe banana and mayonnaise to make a best hair mask for dry hair. Apply it onto hair and leave it there for up to an hour, and then rinse it off with water. This works to seal moisture into hair follicles.
10. Full-fat Mayonnaise: Do not use a diet or low fat, but slather about 1 tablespoon of full-fat mayonnaise onto your hair, massage it into your scalp and spread evenly throughout your hair. After about 30 minutes rinse your hair thoroughly with water.
11. Eggs Treatment For Dry Hair: A number of home remedies for dry hair use eggs. Eggs contain protein and lecithin which make your hair healthy and add shine. Beat 2-3 eggs and mix with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of vinegar. Apply it into your scalp and hair, let it remain there for 30 minutes, and then shampoo as you normally do. For washing your hair don’t use warm or hot water, lest you make a poached egg on your head!
If you have got other ideas about dry hair treatment, then you may like to share under comments below.