Dry skin is very irritating and spoils your looks. It’s a common problem that most people face at some point of time. Pollution, Sun’s harmful rays, winters or windy weather can wreak havoc on your skin to make it dry. Due to lack of moisture in the skin, it becomes dehydrated, loses its flexibility and becomes cracked, scaly and even itchy sometimes.
Take care to treat dry skin as soon as it occurs because if it is left untreated, it could give way to the bacteria to infuse into your skin, which can eventually cause dermatitis.
Dry skin needs an effective lubricant to re-hydrate it. Many dry skin products are available on the market to treat – from mild to extremely dry skin. These over-the-counter chemicals loaded products seldom work, but burn a hole in your pocket. On the other hand the dry skin home remedies are least expensive, but can treat your dry skin with natural ingredients, without any side effects. Here are the selected best home remedies to treat dry, itchy skin on your face and hands. You need to apply these home remedies continuously and consistently, to get the best results.
Home Remedies For Dry Skin
1. Oil Therapy: Rub some olive, coconut or almond oil mildly onto your hands, legs and rest of the body prior to bathing. A warm oil massage works even better. This will enable your skin to retain moisture after bath and make your skin soft and smooth.
2. Coconut Oil: Coconut oil works as a natural moisturizer and helps in treating dry, scaly skin – making it soft and smooth. This oil is an easily available dry skin home remedy. It contains ample amounts of fatty acid that can compensate for any loss of moisture from the skin. It works its full magic when left on the skin overnight.
3. Castor Oil: Castor oil is bestowed with natural therapeutic powers of recinoleic acid and vitamin E that can protect your skin against soap, warm water and the winter dryness. This acts as a natural astringent to take away all impurities from your skin. It easily seeps into skin and nourishes it. Dab it onto the extremely dry areas over your face to hydrate, avoiding eyes.
4. Glycerin: Hydrate your skin with glycerin, as it helps your skin to absorb and retain moisture. You can easily buy it from your neighbor-hood drug store. An ancient time effective home remedy for dry skin is to mix glycerin, lemon juice and rose water in equal proportions, and apply it onto your face overnight. You can store this mixture in a bottle in your refrigerator. Apply it regularly every day.
5. Petroleum Jelly: This natural ingredient has been used to pamper dry skin, since ages. You can also combine it with glycerin in equal proportions, and apply over your dry skin to slough away the flaking skin and make your skin soft and smooth. It is best home remedy for all types of skin conditions that erupt because of dry skin.
6. Olive Oil and Egg Yolk Face Mask: The properties of olive oil and egg yolk make them an effective combination to remedy dry skin conditions. Olive oil has been used as a key natural ingredient to treat dry flaky skin. It is a well-known natural antioxidant full of vitamin E and K that become potent to treat dry skin when combined with one or two egg yolks and whipped together to form a face mask of uniform consistency. The egg yolk contains vitamin A that makes your skin soft and smooth by curing flaky skin. Apply this face mask for dry skin onto your face, leave it there for 15 minutes, and then rinse it off to see the wonderful results. This is an excellent natural remedy to treat dry skin. To obtain better results, mix a few drops of lemon juice and rose water to the paste.
7. Avocado and Honey: Avocado and honey when combined together form an effective natural remedy to combat dry skin conditions. They make a good amalgamation of sterolin and humectants to formulate an effective face mask for dry skin. Simply mix mashed avocado and honey in equal proportions and blend them into a consistent paste. Apply it for 15 minutes, and then rinse it off.
8. Banana and Yogurt Face Mask: Bananas can also be used as a dry skin home remedy. Simply mash one banana and apply it like a face mask, leaving it for 20 minutes, and then rinse it off. Alternatively, you can combine mashed banana with plain yogurt and use it as a face pack for dry skin. This natural banana and yogurt face mask for dry skin not only moisturizes dry skin, but also exfoliates dead skin cells. You can also just apply the paste on the dry patches for 30 minutes and then rinse it off.
9. Curd Face Mask for Dry Skin: Curd has anti-bacterial properties and is full of antioxidants that make the skin soft and radiant. It is an ideal home based remedy for dry skin. It has lactic acid, which can remove bacteria from your skin that are otherwise harmful. For better results, mix a little honey and a few drops of lime juice with curd and apply it on the skin, leaving it for 10 minutes then rinse it off.
10. Papaya and Avocado Face Mask: Avocado face mask is most effective home remedy for dry skin. Mash one avocado and apply it all over face and dry skin areas on your body to heal the dry skin. Papaya is another well know fruit, which is used in facial masks for dry skin. Mash and blend a slice of papaya, 1 avocado and 1 banana. Apply this face pack over your face, leaving it for 20 minutes, and then rinse it off to witness the glowing and soft skin.
The above are our recommended dry skin home remedies. If you like to share your natural remedies for dry skin, you can do so under the comments below for the benefit of other readers.