Don’t go after the brand name sugar scrubs that you see in department stores and spa. You can make your own face and body scrubs for pennies at home. You can mix in other natural ingredients with sugar for your desired results, and they take just under 10 minutes to make at home. DIY sugar scrubs are a simple beauty recipe with number of variations, and they work as extremely moisturizing and exfoliating to the skin.
Sugar Scrub Benefits
Homemade sugar scrubs are great for exfoliating, softening and freshening up your skin in a natural way. Their fine texture gently exfoliates your skin without drying out the skin like salt scrubs or has adverse impact like beaded scrubs. They don’t leave any harmful residue on your skin to clog the pores. It’s safe to use them even on sensitive skin, face, body or chapped lips.
How To Make Sugar Scrubs
Use any of the following easy sugar scrub recipes:
1. Simple Sugar Scrub: To exfoliate your skin naturally, try this simple homemade sugar scrub with natural sugar and oils. Mix 1/2 cup sugar (white or brown) and 1/4 cup oil (olive or coconut are best) and store in an air tight jar. If desired, add in some essential oil.
Use 1 tablespoon as needed while taking bath. Scrub your skin with the concoction and rinse well, leaving your skin soft and smooth.
2. Lavender Sugar Scrub: Mix 1/2 cup white granulated sugar with 1/2 cup of raw sugar. Add in slowly up to 1/4 of olive oil or coconut oil (melted) or almond oil as desired, while stirring. Add in as much oil as you require getting your desired consistency. Stir and mix the ingredients thoroughly. Stir in 4-5 drops of lavender essential oil. If you like, may also stir in 1 tablespoon of crushed dried lavender (optional). Store the concoction in an airtight container.
3. Lemon And Sugar Scrub Recipe: Take two and half to 3 cups of sugar, half cup of olive oil (alternatively, you can use coconut or almond oil), one to two table spoons of fresh lemon juice and one teaspoon of orange zest. Pour sugar in a bowl and mix in olive oil slowly, while stirring. Add as much quantity of olive oil as you need to get your desired consistency. Just use as much oil so as to make it moist but not runny. Add in lemon juice and orange zest and mix them well. And that’s it; your lemon sugar scrub is ready. Store the scrub in an airtight jar.
4. Brown Sugar Scrub Recipe: Brown sugar is softer than white sugar. Take 1 cup of granulated brown sugar, one half cup of virgin olive oil ( or you can go for virgin coconut or olive oil) and 10-15 drops essential oil of your choice like lavender or jasmine (optional). Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix them well. That’s all. Your brown body sugar scrub is ready. Store the scrub in an airtight jar.
5. Sugar Scrub For Lips: Mix one tablespoon of brown or white sugar with a dash of honey (just enough to make sugar really stick together). Alternatively, you can use a bit of olive or coconut oil. Keep the concoction in a small airtight container. Rub the sugar lip scrub onto your lips once or twice a week, vigorously enough to get rid of the dead skin cells. Wipe your lips with a damp washcloth and apply lip balm.
6. Coconut Oil Sugar Scrub: Take 1/4 cup of granulated sugar. You can use up to 1/2 cup of sugar, if you like more coarse sand like texture. Place the sugar in a bowl. Mix in 1/2 cup of coconut oil, while stirring. Do not heat the oil before mixing, as hot oil will dissolve the sugar.
7. Olive Oil And Sugar Scrub: Olive oil has natural antioxidant properties and guards the skin from damage. It works as a natural moisturizer as well. Sugar is a natural exfoliating agent.
Take 1/3 cup of white granulated sugar and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Mix both the ingredients well in a bowl. While taking shower or bath, wet your skin thoroughly and apply the scrub all over skin. Allow it to sit for a minute. Rinse it off with water. After taking bath, apply a moisturizer of your choice for getting extra softness.
Natural Beauty Tips
(i) Try using brown sugar instead of white sugar.
(ii) Do not exfoliate too often, as this can irritate your skin.
Useful Related Articles: