Yogurt, as we all know is chock full of protein, calcium, vitamins, probiotics (the healthy bacteria that helps digestion) and is great for breakfast, can also be eaten as a healthy snack. But do you know yogurt is good for your skin as well?
Yogurt is a good source of lactic acid – highly valuable acid that revitalize skin, provides smoothness to the skin and controls aging too. It’s an all-around beauty multi-tasker that fights acne and pimples, restricts premature aging, relieves sunburn, reduces discoloration and keeps your skin glowing and youthful. Yogurt for skin has been used since ancient times.
Just be sure to use plain organic yogurt without additives. Are you not curious to go ahead to find out the benefits of yogurt on skin and all the potent nutrients that make the healing and rejuvenating yogurt for skin? Also read this article for some easy homemade yogurt recipes for getting healthy and glowing skin.
Use Yogurt For Skin Care – Which Type Of Yogurt Should You Use?
You need to exercise caution while buying yogurt for skin. Look out for unsweetened and plain yogurt. The various flavored yogurts available in the market can cause skin irritations, rashes and worsen acne and pimple conditions. Use yogurt with high levels of fat and live cultures to get best results to rejuvenate your skin. You can also try yogurt on skin that is in cream form, as it’s much less messy while applying it on facial skin.
Is Yogurt Good For Your Face? – Benefits Of Yogurt For Skin
The zinc and lactic acid present in yogurt are responsible for benefits of yogurt on skin to keep it healthy. Just a simple massage of yogurt onto the skin helps in getting rid of dead skin cells, even out fine lines, tighten skin pores, moisturize dry skin and provides a much needed shine and glow to your skin.
Skin Care Recipes With Yogurt – DIY Yogurt Face Mask Recipes
Find here DIY yogurt recipes for skin and face that can be easily made at home using natural ingredients available in your kitchen to make your skin smooth, radiant, glowing and free of fine lines and wrinkles.
1. Yogurt For Skin Brightening/Lightening/Whitening: Regular application of yogurt on your face helps in lightening blemishes; reducing sun-tan and making freckles disappear over time. You can make your own yogurt facial mask at home by using a little yogurt – 1 or 2 teaspoons are enough. To make it more effective, add a few drops of lemon or orange juice. These juices work wonder, as they contain citric acid, which is known to have great skin lightening properties. Watch out to just mix in 3 to 5 drops of lemon juice– as you don’t want to irritate your skin!!!
2. How To Moisturize Skin With Yogurt: First, wash your face as usual. Simply apply some plain organic, creamy yogurt over your face and neck on your still wet skin. This way the yogurt locks in the moisture. Let this simple yogurt face mask refresh your skin for about 10 minutes, and then rinse it off. Follow this routine 2-3 times a week to make your skin look soft and supple. This will also revive your dull skin. Bonus benefit is that the lactic acid contained in yogurt, a natural alpha hydroxyl acid, will help to smoothen and exfoliate your skin. Make sure to use a thick type yogurt with active cultures and strain the mixture before use, if it’s too runny.
3. Hydrating Yogurt Scrub To Get Rid Of Dry Dead Skin Cells: Yogurt has natural moisturizing properties that make it a great hydrating scrub to remove dry dead skin cells. This moisturizing home remedy is useful for the ones having dry and sensitive skin.
(i) You can make an at home natural scrub by mixing 2 tablespoons of yogurt with 1 tablespoon of oats. Try this scrub to exfoliate your skin by massaging it gently in circular motions with your fingers.
(ii) If you are suffering from blackheads and whiteheads then blend some rice powder and plain organic yogurt into a thick paste. Massage this scrub onto your facial skin in small circular motions with the help of your fingers, and then rinse it off with cool water.
(iii) For getting smooth and glowing complexion to your facial skin, try this excellent natural scrub by mixing ground dried orange peels with yogurt.
4. Prevent And Clear Acne / Pimples: What makes yogurt a key natural ingredient is that you can include it in your daily diet or use it as a direct facial application. Yogurt contains natural anti-bacterial and anti- fungal properties. Eating yogurt works as efficiently as putting it topically on your skin. Due to its acidic nature, yogurt contributes in terminating various acne-causing bacteria, fungus and germs from within body.
(i) A simple way is to apply some creamy yogurt onto your face, and then rinse it off after 30 minutes with water to keep skin cleansed, which will also reduce chances of acne / pimples breakouts.
(ii) Another way is to make a mask of yogurt with some turmeric powder, sugar and sandalwood powder. Massage this paste gently into acne-prone areas and let it sit there for 15 minutes, and then rinse it off with coll water.
5. How To Tighten Skin Pores With Yogurt: Simply smear a teaspoon of creamy plain organic yogurt on your face, leaving it there for about 15 minutes to get absorbed. Rinse it off with cool water.
6. Yogurt Prevent Premature Aging: Yogurt is known to contain anti-aging properties that fight free radicals, resulting into delaying fine lines and wrinkle formations. Lactic acid contained in yogurt helps in dissolving dead skin cells and tightening skin pores.
(i) Try this anti-aging yogurt face pack, which you can make easily at home by mixing 1 tablespoon of olive oil with 3 to 4 tablespoons of yogurt. Apply this mixture onto your face, leaving it there for 30 minutes, and then rinsing it off. Use this home remedy three times in a week.
(ii) Another yogurt recipe is to mash some ripe banana, avocado and mix thoroughly with yogurt to form a paste. Apply and leave this paste on to your face for 30 minutes, and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
(iii) Alternatively, here is another effective home recipe to prevent early aging. Grate some cucumber and mix with yogurt. Spread this mixture over your face and let it dry for about 20 minutes, and then rinse it off with cool water. While cucumber works to tighten facial skin pores, the yogurt provides a firming action.
7. Yogurt For Skin Discoloration: Yogurt is known to have mild bleaching properties that act to even out skin discoloration. Use it regularly to reduce skin blotches and age spots caused by sunburn. For this purpose scrub a few tablespoons of yogurt mixed with a squeeze lemon juice on to skin for about 25 minutes, and then rinse it off with cool water. Use this remedy three times a week.
8. Sunburn Cure With Yogurt: Yogurt contains zinc that helps cool the harsh bite of sunburn. Mix in a few drops of soothing chamomile essential oil with about a handful of plain organic yogurt. Apply this mixture over your sunburned skin, leaving it there for about 15 minutes, and then rinse it off with cool water.
9. Remove Sun Tan With Yogurt: Apply plain organic yogurt all over your face, leaving it there for 15 minutes. Remove it with warm damp washed cloth. You can use this remedy for everyday use. It helps in soothing your skin and removing sun-tan.
Natural Beauty Tips
(i) Yogurt mask can leave your skin feeling a little stiff and tight. To ease it, use a moisturizer immediately after removing the face mask. For those who believe in using natural ingredients, olive oil is an option.
(ii) While waiting for the yogurt to get absorbed and dry out on your face, make sure not to smile, talk or move face muscles, as these can cause to form fine lines and wrinkles on your face!!
Useful Related Articles: