In this article, you will find (i) Is aloe vera good for hair (ii) Benefits of aloe vera for hair & (iii) How to use aloe vera for hair treatments.
How do you feel when you see beautiful models flaunting their long and glossy tresses? Do you feel that your hair is not shiny, healthy and resilient enough? And then you quietly wish that you too have hair like them. In this article we are going to tell you about aloe vera, a miracle natural ingredient that can help you to have beautiful hair like them. Don’t worry you will not need to buy expensive hair care products from the market.
Is Aloe Vera Good For Hair ?
Most of you know that aloe vera is commonly used as a moisturizer for skin because it can help trap and lock in moisture. But what about aloe vera in hair?
Aloe vera the miracle plant is ideal remedy for solving majority of your hair woes. You can apply this natural ingredient to cleanse, nourish and protect your hair from damage. You can also use aloe vera on hair for many other purposes, like getting rid of dandruff, itchy scalp, dry hair, bacterial and fungal infections. You can use this plant to make your hair shine with a healthy glow and get perfect hair. It can be used in making many hair masks. Aloe vera hair treatment is an excellent natural home remedy to make your hair problem free and perfect.
So, apart from providing a host of health and skincare benefits, a few leaves of aloe vera can even save the beauty of your hair when used regularly.
Many hair products available on the market claim to treat most of the hair problems, but when you look at their label you will find aloe vera as one of the main ingredients. Whereas such products of good quality are too expensive to buy and on the other hand the cheaper local variants with aloe vera contain chemicals and preservatives, which would not improve your hair conditions, rather they may damage it.
We recommend that instead of buying hair products containing aloe vera from the market, you use aloe vera for hair in its natural form. Aloe vera gel can be purchased from many stores — especially health food outlets or better is to extract and use the natural aloe vera gel from your terrace or garden plant. You can collect some aloe vera leaves from a garden and treat your hair problems naturally.
Benefits Of Aloe Vera For Hair
(i) Adds strength and luster to hair.
(ii) Promotes hair growth.
(iii) Easily penetrates scalp and hair.
(iv) Maintains the hair hydrated by locking moisture in hair. It works as barricade between hair and environment.
(v) Helps to maintain the pH balance of the hair.
(vi) Relieves scalp itching.
(vii) Lessens scalp redness and inflammation.
(viii) Its anti-fungal properties help in controlling dandruff.
(ix) It solves itchy scalp problem.
How To Use Aloe Vera For Hair ?
The best way to use aloe vera gel is on its own in natural form or with other natural ingredients, such as honey, vinegar, lemon juice to make hair soft, clear and conditioned. You can also mix it with other hair products for hair application and various home remedies.
1. Aloe Vera Hair Conditioner: Aloe Vera gel can be used to naturally condition hair at home to make hair soft and silky. It offers loads of moisture and nutrients, making hair strong and smooth. You can use following homemade hair recipes:
(i) Simple Aloe Vera Homemade Conditioner: Using aloe vera as a hair conditioner leaves your hair smooth and velvety soft. Cut an aloe vera and extract the gel with a spoon or scooper. Apply the gel on damp hair using your fingers, starting from scalp till the hair ends. Wrap the hair in a warm towel. Wait for 15 minutes for the gel to sink in. Wash your hair with a mild herbal shampoo.
(ii) Aloe Vera Leave in Conditioner Recipe: Aloe Vera has pH of 4.5 that aids in closing hair cuticles to help in controlling hair frizz. Take aloe vera gel and water in equal parts and mix them together thoroughly in a small bowl. Transfer this solution into a spray bottle and shake it gently. Add in a few drops (3 to 5) of an essential oil of your choice and shake it again. You can spray it on your hair when you feel it to be unmanageable.
Aloe Vera juice is very light on hair, unlike other hair conditioners that make you feel as if your head is weighed down. It acts as humectant, so it attracts moisture from air and maintains your hair hydrated. That’s why it works as a hair serum and control frizz effectively. Try using this leave in conditioner after styling your hair instead of using a readymade hairspray.
(iii) Aloe Vera And Olive Oil Deep-Clean Conditioner: Mix together thoroughly equal parts of aloe vera gel and olive oil. Comb this mixture through your hair, leaving it in for about 30 minutes. Wash it off with a mild shampoo.
(iv) Aloe Vera And Lemon Juice Hair Conditioner: Mix one-quarter cup of aloe vera gel with the juice from half of a lemon. Add in 3 to 5 drops of your favorite essential oil. Shampoo your hair as usual, and then apply this mixture to the shampooed hair. Wait for 3-5 minutes and then rinse your hair.
(v) Aloe Vera And Egg Conditioner: Take enough aloe vera gel and mix one egg with it. Apply this conditioning mask onto your hair, leaving it there for about 15 minutes and then wash your hair. This will make your hair healthy and look beautiful.
2. Pre-Shampoo Aloe Vera Hair Treatment: Apply aloe vera gel in your hair before shampooing your hair to exterminate dandruff buildup in the hair. Aloe vera contains natural cleansing enzymes that are considered to be one of the best to get rid of dead skin flakes, fungus & dandruff and clearing extra oils from hair effectively. It also keeps the hair hydrated and maintains the pH balance of scalp and averts recurring of dandruff.
(i) Massage aloe vera gel onto your scalp, leaving it in for about 10 minutes. Wash your hair with your favorite shampoo.
(ii) Mix a few drops of lemon juice with aloe vera gel and apply it to your hair. Using your fingers spread this mixture all over your scalp, leaving it there for about 10 minutes. Wash your hair thoroughly with warm water. This is an effective natural treatment better than using chemicals shampoo on your hair.
Tip: If you like to have a relatively lighter pre-shampoo treatment then you can mix aloe vera gel with coconut milk and few drops of wheat germ oil.
3. Aloe Vera Shampoo: A simple way to make it at home is to take 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel and mix it thoroughly with 8 ounces of your favorite shampoo. Shampoo your hair as you would do normally.
4. Aloe Vera For Hair Loss Treatment: Nursing hair with aloe vera for treating hair loss is an ancient home remedy used by the Egyptian for hair growth and clearing dirt and oils from hair. For men who are balding and women who are going through big hair loss problem, aloe vera treatment is a good choice. It has lots of enzymes and anti-oxidants that are very useful for repairing damaged hair and stimulating hair follicle to promote hair growth.
5. Aloe Vera For Hair Growth: Aloe vera is full of enzymes that directly stimulate hair growth. These protelitic enzymes help to remove dead skin cells from the scalp that clog the pores and hair follicles, not allowing for proper penetration of nutrients in the hair. By opening the hair follicles, nutrients can easily penetrate the hair, allowing for hair growth. Also, its alkalizing qualities can help in restoring the scalp and hair’s pH to a more desirable level, leading to enhanced hair growth, while causing the hair to retain water and moisture.
6. Aloe Vera To Get Rid Of Greasy And Oily Hair: Like dandruff aloe vera juice also helps in getting rid of greasy hair and treating your oily hair problems. The process is same as explained for getting rid of dandruff. You simply have to add a few lemon drops to aloe vera gel and apply onto your hair to cleanse it.
7. Aloe Vera To Nourish Hair: Aloe Vera is very rich in vitamins, minerals and enzymes that make it one of the best natural products to nourish hair. Messaging its gel onto hair once a week strengthens hair roots, promotes hair growth, removes dandruff & grease from hair and makes hair over all healthy and strong. Besides all these benefits, it has properties, which can treat dry hair and itching problem. Its use can remedy almost all hair related problems.
8. Dandruff Cure Serum: To get rid of dandruff flakes from your scalp, add few drops of tea tree oil to aloe vera gel. To get a serum type consistency, mix in two teaspoons of rose water, and stir this mixture well. Using your clean fingers, cover your scalp with this serum and let it penetrate for one hour before washing it off. Use this natural remedy once or twice a week.
9. Aloe Vera For Getting Rid Of Itchy Scalp: Aloe vera’s anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-septic properties make it a right choice for curing itchy scalp. It bestows calming and cooling sensation to scalp and therefore can be used to treat sunburns on scalp. To treat your scalp problems, you just have remove gel from an aloe vera leaf and apply it directly to your hair and spread it onto your scalp using your fingers. Leave it there for about 20 minutes. This works as a good home remedy for curing infections on scalp, nourishing your hair at the same time.
10. Style Your Hair: Instead of using readymade serums, you can use aloe vera as a styling product. You just need to add a small amount of aloe vera gel to your hair after styling it, to provide natural shine to your hair and help lock in moisture. Take a small amount (penny-sized dollop) in your hands, and then distribute it evenly over your hair.
11. Aloe Vera Overnight Hair Treatment: Is your hair exceedingly dry and damaged? Is your hair difficult to manage? Try this aloe vera hair mask to solve your hair problems.
Method: Extract half a cup of fresh aloe vera juice from aloe plant. Add two teaspoons of castor oil, two teaspoons of powdered fenugreek and one teaspoon of basil powder in it. Mix these all ingredients thoroughly; you can also blend these in a blender to form a thick, smooth hair mask for easy application. Apply the mixture on your roots and strands. Cover your head with a shower cap and keep it overnight so that the hair-mask can penetrate deeply. Wash it off in morning thoroughly using a mild shampoo. This hair mask is very effective in conditioning hair, removing dandruff, nourishing and promoting hair growth. Use this mask once a week to make your hair thick, strong, healthy and lustrous!!
Natural Beauty Tips:
(i) Strain the aloe vera jelly before applying it to your hair. Make sure that all white sediments and the green exterior are removed while straining. Otherwise, residues will remain on your hair and attract dirt and grime leading to dandruff.
(ii) Aloe vera gel is thick, so takes time to strain. Make aloe vera paste beforehand and let it to strain, when it is ready to use.
Useful Related Posts: