Aloe Vera grows in drier climates such as those located in parts of Africa and India and has been used medicinally for centuries. This herbal remedy is also known for providing relief for a number of skin conditions, including dry skin and acute acne.
The ancient Egyptians called Aloe Vera as the ‘plant of immortality’ and used it in many skin remedies because of its healing properties. It’s truly considered as a miracle plant due to its various benefits and uses for health, skin and hair.
Various studies have been conducted to explore benefits of aloe vera plant and it has been established that aloe vera in fact does have several properties that are effective in treating a number of skin problems, from flaky or dry skin, skin aging, sun burn, acne, pimples, skin-tan, cosmetic ailments, hair and scalp problems to many more. It contains phytochemicals and other nutrients that make it one of the best natural ingredient to use for skin and hair beauty products.
Aloe Vera leaves contain an amazing gel that can be used in treating wounds and burns, minor skin infections, cysts, and offers some promise in treating more serious and persistent conditions such as eczema, genital herpes, dandruff, psoriasis, canker sores and others, according to the Mayo Clinic. A plus point in aloe vera gel is that it can be used by people of different skin types. It can also be used in various forms – as a gel, oil, juice, the whole plant and in creams, soaps and tablets.
Benefits Of Aloe Vera On Skin
Due to its several benefits and uses to the skin and hair, aloe vera has acquired pronounced recognition and has become an important natural ingredient to be used in various beauty products by even big brands. Aloe vera has many properties that are useful in treating a number of skin problems, such as flaky or dry skin, cosmetic, cosmetic disorders, hair and scalp problems.
Take a look here for aloe vera skin benefits and how you can include this miracle in your beauty regime.
1. Aloe Vera As A Moisturizer: It possesses great moisturizing properties, so it’s really beneficial for dry skin. This natural moisturizer maintains the skin hydrated and enhances its elasticity. When applied topically, it releases natural enzymes and essential vitamins on the skin to yield a deep moisturizing effect that causes to restore pH balance as well. It also supplies oxygen to the skin, which strengthens the skin tissues and maintains the skin healthy.
The best thing is it moisturizes the skin without giving it a greasy feel, so it’s ideal for those having oily complexion. It’s great for facial use, particularly for women who use makeup often, as it really cleanse and soften the skin.
2. Aloe Vera For Men: It can be effectively used as an aftershave lotion because of its healing properties. It can treats small cuts caused by shaving. So, it is useful for both women and men.
3. Aloe Vera For Acne Treatment: Aloe Vera gel possesses two hormones – Auxin and Gibberellin that provide wound healing and anti-inflammatory properties. Because of these properties, it can be used to reduce inflammation, blistering and itchiness. Gibberellin in aloe vera acts as a growth hormone. It not only promotes the growth of new skin cells, but also stimulates the skin to heal quickly and causing minimal scarring. Whereas, it does not completely cure the acne but it reduces the inflammation and redness of the skin effectively. You can also use it to prevent the triggering of pimples and acne.
You can apply aloe vera gel or juice directly on the affected area to cure acne. Alternatively, you can make an aloe vera face mask for acne by boiling aloe vera leaves in water and make its paste. Mix in a few drops of honey, and apply it on your face. Allow it to sit for about 15 minutes, and then rinse it off with water.
4. Prevent Skin Aging: Aloe Vera leaves contain lots of anti-oxidants, including beta carotene, vitamin C and E that improve the natural firmness of the skin and keep the skin hydrated. Its regular application improves skin’s elasticity and helps to reduce fine lines and wrinkles associated with aging and loss of skin’s elasticity. While refreshing your skin, it makes your skin lively and young leaving it soft and hydrated.
5. Heals Skin Disorders: Due to anti-allergic properties of aloe vera, it can be used to treat various skin ailments, such as eczema, psoriasis, itchy skin, etc. Its healing properties combined with anti-allergic properties make it helpful in treating blisters, insect bites and other allergic reactions also.
6. Aloe Vera For Glowing Skin: Aloe Vera helps to get rid of dead skin cells and replaces it with new ones, providing a radiant glow to the skin. Drinking aloe vera juice provides body with vital nutrients that make your skin healthy. Here is an aloe vera face mask recipe to make your skin healthy and glowing.
Method: Make a smooth paste by mixing a small amount of turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon of whole milk, I teaspoon of honey and a few drops of rose water. Add in some aloe vera gel and mix all the natural ingredients thoroughly. Apply this concoction evenly onto your face and neck, leaving it there for about 20 minutes. Wash off with water and pat dry to get refreshing glowing skin.
7. Aloe Vera Face Pack To Remove Tan: Tanning spoils your natural beauty look and is not pleasing to eyes. Use this aloe vera and lemon juice face pack / mask to get rid of unwanted tan.
Method: Mix well aloe vera gel and a few drops of lemon juice. Apply the mixture onto your face and other affected area with your fingers or a cotton ball. Leave it on for about 15 minutes, and then wash it off with cold water.
8. Aloe Vera Can Treat Sunburns And Stretch Marks: Aloe vera gel with wound healing and anti-inflammatory properties helps to treat sun burn at the epithelial level of the skin, a layer of cells that cover your body. It also helps to lessen the inflammation and pain associated with sunburn. It works to replenish the skin’s natural moisture and also serves as a protective shield for the skin against further deterioration and enables fast healing of the skin due to its nutritional qualities and anti-oxidant properties. Moreover, aloe vera additionally helps to decrease stretch marks due to its natural healing characteristic.
9. Aloe Vera For Face: You can use this face scrub for cleansing, moisturizing, refreshing and rejuvenating all types of skin – whether dry, oily, normal or sensitive.
Method: Take a ripe avocado, cut it in halves and scoop out its pulp. Mix in oats, aloe vera gel and a teaspoon of honey. Blend all the ingredients together in a lump-free paste. Massage the mixture gently onto your face and neck, and leave it on for about 15-20 minutes. Wash it off with lukewarm water.
10. Aloe Vera For Skin Pigmentation Marks: Aloe Vera and Rose Water face mask / pack are an effective natural remedy to lessen the appearance of pigmentation and blemishes marks on the skin. This pack also helps reducing age spots, zit marks, as well as treats other small cuts and light burns.
Method: Mix well aloe vera gel / extract with rose water to make thick solution. Message this concoction gently onto your face or affected area, and let it stay there for 20 minutes. Wash it off with cold water. You will find the pigmentation marks, age spots and acne / pimple marks disappearing slowly with its regular usage.
11. Aloe Vera To Lighten Skin: Rub aloe vera gel regularly on your face and skin to lighten your skin and to make it soft and supple.
12. Aloe Vera For Foot Care: You can make an aloe vera gel foot scrub at home. This natural foot scrub works to make your feet soft and smooth. The sugar and rice powder will exfoliate your skin to get rid of dead skin cells and the aloe vera gel will work to rejuvenate your feet skin with its soothing properties.
(i) Take 2 teaspoons each of sugar and coarsely powdered rice powder and a scoop of aloe vera gel. Mix well all the three ingredients to make an instant foot scrub.
(ii) Soak your feet in warm water for 10 minutes, and then rub this homemade scrub on your feet for 5-10 minutes.
13. Aloe Vera For Lip Care: This super homemade lip balm is not only an effective cure for dry and chapped lips, but also will make your lips soft, supple and lustrous.
(i) Take a tablespoon full petroleum jelly and a teaspoon full of aloe vera gel. Also keep ready a vitamin E capsule.
(ii) Heat the petroleum jelly in a double boiler. After it melts, add in the aloe vera gel and 2 drops of vitamin E oil extracted from the capsule. Switch off the stove and stir the mixture thoroughly.
(iii) Pour the mixture in an air tight container while it is still in liquid state. Let this homemade lip balm cool and thicken in refrigerator. Use it as a lip balm when your desire.
This natural lip balm works effectively more than any other store bought lip balms.
Homemade Aloe Vera Face Masks
You can also reap the skin benefits of aloe vera by using these DIY face packs according to your skin type:
14. Aloe Vera And Honey Face Pack / Mask For Oily Skin: Oily skin is usually prone to acne and pimples. This face pack is excellent for controlling and rejuvenating oily and greasy skin. Regularly applying this mask can do wonders for oily skin. Apply this home remedy once a week to get clear skin.
(i) First remove thorns from an aloe vera leaf, boil it in water and then grind it make a smooth paste.
(ii) Mix in some organic honey and apply the mask onto your face and neck. Let it stay for about 20 minutes, and then wash it off with cold water.
15. Aloe Vera, Olive Oil And Almonds Face Mask / Pack For Dry Skin: This face mask is great for dry, dull and aged skin. Use this mask to moisturize your skin, leaving it rejuvenated, soft and supple.
(i) Crush a few almonds into a powder form and mix it well with aloe vera gel and olive oil to form a thick paste.
(ii) Apply the pack onto your face and neck, leaving it there for 20 minutes. Wash it off with cold water to lock in moisture into your skin.
16. Aloe Vera, Yogurt, Cucumber And Rose Water Face Mask / Pack For Sensitive Skin: This face pack is very mild and perfect for sensitive skin. It works wonders on sensitive skin by removing oil, dead skin cells, impurities, dirt and leaving your sensitive skin clean and rejuvenated.
(i) Mix well aloe vera gel with some cucumber juice and plain curd (plain yogurt) and add in 3 drops of rose water or rose essential oil to it. You can use any other essential oil if rose water or rose essential oil is not available. Stir it thoroughly to form a thick paste.
(ii) Apply the mask onto your face and neck, leaving it there for about 15-20 minutes. When done, wash it off with cold water.
This natural remedy is an effective mild way to get rid dirt, impurities and rashes from sensitive skin.
17. Aloe Vera, Cucumber And Oatmeal Face Mask / Pack For Exfoliating Skin: This mask works as an effective natural scrub to exfoliate and remove dead skin cells. You can use this pack to rejuvenate and brighten your skin.
(i) Blend aloe vera gel and cucumber to form a smooth thick paste. Mix in some oatmeal and blend it again thoroughly.
(ii) Apply this pack onto your face and neck, and scrub it with your fingers in small circular motions for about 5 minutes. Let this stay for about 10 minutes. Wash it off with water to remove damaging skin cells from your skin.
18. Aloe Vera Gel, Mango Pulp And Lime Juice For Detoxifying Your Skin: This homemade face mask cleanses and provides a radiant glow to your skin.
(i) Mix aloe vera gel with some mango pulp and a little bit of lemon juice. Blend these natural ingredients together to form a thick paste.
(ii) Apply this pack on your face and neck, and message it for 2-3 minutes with your fingers in circular motions. Let it stay there for about 20 minutes. When done, rinse it off with cold water.
This home remedy will liven up your skin and provide a radiant glow to your face.
How To Extract Aloe Vera Gel At Home
(i) Select aloe vera leaves that are thick, wide and juicy. Just cut the leaf from base of the plant, place it upright in a container in a tilted position. Hold the leaf in this position for about 10 minutes. This would make the sap to drain on its own. When it drains out, wash the leaf.
(ii) Place the leaf on a flat surface such as a cutting board. Now carefully cut off tip of the leaf and sides of the leaf those contain thorns all the way from top to bottom.
(iii) Remove the green layer from the inside of back and front of the leaf by slicing it lengthwise with help of a knife.
(iv) With help of a spoon, scoop out both the slimy mucilage and the clear inner gel that looks more as a solid gel. This all is aloe vera gel. Mash and use it for the above aloe vera gel homemade recipes.
Useful Related Posts: