The potent beneficial properties of essential oils, so-called nature’s botanical essences, can work wonders on your hair and scalp. These aromatic oils penetrate deeply into hair shaft and follicles to help promote healthy hair, scalp and skin. They can be used to cleanse your scalp, strengthen hair, restrict irritation and dandruff, stimulate hair follicles, produce healthy, shiny hair, perk up blood circulation – so promote hair growth. While some oils are greatly helpful to soothe dry, irritated scalp, other essential oils stimulate the sebaceous glands and can normalize their function. In nutshell, they create beauty from the inside out!
Essential oils have been used since ancient times because of their medicinal and therapeutic properties. Unlike ordinary vegetable oils (sunflower, olive, almond, sesame), essential oils are extremely concentrated and powerful. They are extracted or distilled from various parts of plants and trees, such as flowers, fruits, leaves, stem, roots or bark.
What Essential Oils Are Good For Hair?
Do you want healthy, radiant looking hair? By now you might have already tried some hair oils but you may not be satisfied with the results. Well, then possibly you are missing out on something – the essential oils is what I am talking about. But to use them wisely, you need to use essential oils that suit your hair type. No need to worry, hereunder is provided the information on all the hair types and the corresponding essential oils. Also, given are the carrier or base oils that will work best for your hair type.
My Top Favorite Essential Oils
1. Lavender Oil: It’s very versatile oil and is well known as a traditional folk remedy. It works to balance natural scalp oils that render it beneficial for all hair types. Due to its anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and analgesic properties, lavender oil is a good treatment for dry, flaky scalp. It pacifies and nurtures scalp, providing relief from inflammatory scalp conditions. This oil is believed to be an essential oil for hair loss and its regular massage promotes hair growth as well. While making the hair soft and shiny, it also helps in preventing itching and dandruff.
2. Rosemary Oil: It’s one of the well-known essential oils that promote hair growth. It’s full of antioxidants that help hunt free radicals, which cause greying as well as hair thinning. This amazing oil stimulates the hair follicles and improves blood flow to the scalp; as a consequence of which hair grow longer and stronger. It is also very useful in treating dandruff problem, itchiness, and scalp irritation.
3. Chamomile (Roman/German) Essential Oil: It’s well known for its skin healing, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, anti-itching and anti-allergenic properties. Thus you can use it to treat dry scaly scalp, dandruff, eczema, and scalp acne. This amazing oil adds stunning golden highlights to blonde hair and gleam to dark hair. You can use this oil to condition your hair and enhance its softness and luster significantly. This oil is best to use on dry as well as brittle hair. You can use this oil to get rid of lice also.
4. Ylang Ylang Essential Oil: Native to tropical Asia, this is my favorite essential oil. It has been traditionally used to boost up healthy hair growth as well as to smooth out skin. It balances sebum production, thus can be used on oily scalp and greasy hair. Its natural antiseptic and tonic properties help in keeping your scalp healthy. Moreover, it improves blood flow to the scalp as a result nourishes hair follicles and promotes hair growth. In addition, it relaxes facial muscles, and a massage with ylang ylangoil aids to relieve tension headaches. It is also helps for treating anxiety, anger, and insomnia.
5. Lemon Oil: This essential oil works wonders for oily hair. Besides exterminating lice, it can be used to treat dry scalp and dandruff. It provides golden highlights to blonde hair.
6. Peppermint Oil: A great oil to incite blood flow to the hair-roots. It makes sure that proper nourishment reaches the hair and so as a result it boosts up healthy hair growth. You can utilize this oil to its full potential by simply adding a couple of drops to your natural shampoo and hair conditioner for a soothing effect.
7. Tea Tree Essential Oil: This oil cleans out the sebaceous glands, thus it improves blood flow to scalp. It helps to get rid of dead skin cells as well, thereby encourages healthy hair growth. It treats dandruff and also is a good treatment for lice.
8. Myrrh Essential Oil: You can use this oil for dry hair treatment that occurs due to dry scalp. It also works as an effective remedy for dandruff problem and under-active sebaceous glands.
9. Cedarwood Essential Oil: It treats dry and oily scalp. It is a great option to stimulate scalp and hair follicles, thus act as one of good essential oils for thinning hair. It also treats dandruff and acts as an antiseptic astringent.
How To Use Essential Oils On Hair?
Essential oils are highly concentrated and powerful, so they should not be applied directly to your hair or scalp. They should first be mixed with carrier (base) oil or can be diluted in herbal rinse or floral water.
I recommend following carrier oils:
(i) Fine And Thin Hair: Sunflower, Evening primrose, Coconut, Grapeseed, Flaxseed, Extra Virgin Olive, or Jojoba oil, as these will add volume to your fine hair.
(ii) Thick And Coarse Hair: Rich nourishing oils such as Avocado, Extra Virgin Olive, Hemp, Rosehip, Sesame, Pure Almond or Evening primrose, as these are good for hydrating treatments.
Essential Oil Messaging Blend
(i) 3 to 5 drops in 1 teaspoon (5ml) of carrier oil
(ii) 7 to 25 drops in 25 ml of carrier oil
(iii) 20 to 60 drops in 100ml of carrier oil
Start with the minimum recommended amount, and increase if needed.
Massage the hair healthy essential oil blend into your scalp and hair, leaving it on for an hour or overnight for more conditioning and best results. Wash with a gentle shampoo and allow your hair to dry naturally.
Essential Oil Hair Rinse: Mix a few drops of essential oils (10 to 20 drops in 1 cup) in the final rinse or herbal rinse to make better the condition of your scalp and hair.
My Favorite Hair Conditioner Essential Oil
Take 1 tablespoon of Jojoba or other carrier oil and mix 3 drops of Rosemary (or other hair care essential oil) in a small glass bowl. Wet your hair with warm water and then apply the mixture. Allow it to sit on your hair for 25-30 minutes. Wash your hair as usual. Jojoba and rosemary are helpful to treat dry hair.
You can also use the above hair care conditioner oil as essential oil scalp massage. Simply place 3 to 5 drops of this blended conditioner on your fingertips and massage your scalp gently.
You can also prepare a blend for scaly scalp and dandruff. Just mix 2 drops cedarwood essential oil, 2 drops lavender, 2 drops rosemary, and 2 drop tea tree oil to 1/2 ounce of a base oil (like jojoba).
Natural Beauty Tips
(i) You can also add few drops of an essential oil of your choice to your favorite shampoo to improve the conditions of your hair and scalp.
(ii) Essential oils evaporate fairly quickly if left open, so be sure to replace the lid when you have finished using them.
(i) Women who are pregnant should consult doctor first before using any essential oil.
(ii) Make sure to do a patch test to see whether you are allergic to the essential oil before you start using it.
Useful Related Posts: