Do you know that skin on your feet has no oil glands to keep them moisturized always? The skin on your feet is typically dry, as compared to other parts of your body. That’s why you need to take extra care of your feet to avoid dry, cracked heels.
To have soft, beautiful feet with silky skin, you don’t need those expensive foot scrubs that you see in departmental stores and spas! You can go for DIY foot scrubs and soaks that will cost you pennies only. Store bought scrubs can cost 10-20 dollars or more. The homemade scrubs will cost you 2-3 bucks only, including the cost of a jar.
These all natural foot scrubs are easy to make at home and have countless variations. It’s just a matter of choosing whether you prefer a sugar or salt scrub and what kind of carrier oil (base oil) and essential oil scent you like. They are incredibly moisturizing and exfoliating to the skin.
The best thing is that most of you already have some of these natural ingredients at home. Won’t you like to pamper your feet to keep them in tip-top conditions and save some money as well! So, get ready to learn how to make a foot scrub at home.
How To Make Foot Scrubs At Home
You require three constituents to make any scrub – A moisturizer (coconut oil or olive oil are great to use); the sand-paper element (sugar or salt), and optional elements – such as essential oil, herbs, lemon, oats, etc.
At Home Foot Scrub Recipes Using All Natural Ingredients
1. Soothing Peppermint And Sugar Foot Scrub Recipe: You can use this simple scrub to exfoliate, moisturize and soothe your sore feet, just before taking bath or shower.
(i) Take 1/2 cup of granulated sugar, olive or coconut oil and few drops of peppermint essential oil.
(ii) Put the granulated sugar into a mixing bowl. Slowly add olive or coconut oil and stir the mixture together until you get a little wet and grainy consistency paste. Mix in a few drops of peppermint essential oil.
(iii) Put the scrub into an airtight container for use before taking bath or shower.
2. Homemade Exfoliating Foot Scrub – Baking Soda, Brown Sugar And Olive Oil: Most of you are probably already having these ingredients in your kitchen. This exfoliating foot scrub is very easy to make that you can whip up in a few minutes only.
(i) Take 1 tablespoon each of baking soda, brown sugar and olive oil. Mix these ingredients thoroughly just before taking shower or bath.
(ii) Scrub the mixture on your feet. You can use it on other rough areas as well, such as knees and elbows. Finish with rinsing it off completely.
Natural Beauty Tip: Use an acrylic foot file, if you have dry heels and moisturize your dry feet with a really thick foot lotion.
3. DIY Coconut Oil And Sea Salt Foot Scrub: You can make a sea salt scrub using coconut oil as carrier (base) oil. You will require course sea salt, coconut oil and 3-4 drops of essential oil for fragrance.
(i) Just mix the course sea salt (or granulated sugar) and coconut oil in 2:1 proportions. For instance if you take 1 cup salt then take 1/2 cup of coconut oil. Add in 3-4 drops of your favorite essential oil. Whisk it up.
(ii) Transfer the scrub into an air tight jar, and that’s it.
4. At Home Peppermint Foot Scrub Recipe: You can use either Sugar or Epsom salt for making this foot scrub. You will require coarsest available sugar (or Epsom salt), coconut oil (or grapeseed or olive oil) and peppermint essential oil.
(i) Take 1-2 cups of coarsest available sugar (or Epsom salt) – as the quantity of liquid absorbed varies depending upon the brands of sugar / salt you use, 1/2 cup of warmed coconut oil (or olive oil or grapeseed oil) and 10-12 drops of peppermint essential oil. You can vary the quantities of the ingredients depending upon the amount of scrub you want to make. Use enough of sugar or salt so as to get the desired consistency.
(ii) Mix all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and transfer the scrub into an airtight jar.
(iii) You can use this foot scrub once a week before taking shower.
Tip: You can store and use this scrub for 6 months.
5. Simple, But Effective Foot Scrub: You can use this scrub on any rough skin areas, such as feet, knees and elbow. If you use sea salt as an ingredient, it will provide a lovely pink color to your skin. This scrub requires only 3 ingredients – coconut oil for moisture, sea salt for softening and minerals, and fresh mint to freshen up and help circulation.
(i) Take 3 tablespoons of coconut oil, 2 tablespoons of sea salt and 3-4 drops of peppermint essential oil or 1 teaspoon of chopped mint. This much quantity will be enough for 3-4 applications.
(ii) Mix well all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Message the concoction generously onto the feet and scrub with your fingers in back and forth motions to buff away dead skin cells, thereby softening the rough patches. Finish with rinsing off the scrub and dab with towel to get rid of any excess moisture.
6. Soothing And Exfoliating Foot Scrub: This foot scrub is effective in sloughing off dead skin cells and works to smoothen the feet skin. Whereas the salt content exfoliates, the base oil ingredient moisturizes. The lavender essential oil and buds provide a tad of fragrance to soothe and relax tired feet.
(i) Take 1 cup of Sea salt or Epsom salt, 1/4 to 1/2 cup of base oil (grapeseed or olive oil), 7-8 drops of lavender essential oil and 2 tablespoon of dried lavender buds (optional).
(ii) Mix well all the ingredients in a mixing bowl to get a uniform consistency. If you feel it’s dry, add in some more oil and if it seems to be too wet add in some more salt. Stir well and transfer the scrub into an airtight jar.
(iii) Rub the mixture onto your damp feet and use fingers to scrub in circular motions, thereby sloughing off the dead skin cells. Rinse off the scrub and apply a bit of moisturizer or oil.
7. Refreshing Sugar And Lemon Foot Scrub: To get a refreshing foot spa treatment like feeling, use this scrub just before taking shower.
(i) Take 1/2 to 1 cup of granulated sugar, 1/4 cup of almond or coconut oil, and 3-4 drops of lemon essential oil.
(ii) Pour sugar into a mixing bowl and while stirring add in the oil gradually until you get a soft, slightly wet consistency. Add in a couple of drops of lemon essential oil and mix well all the ingredients together.
(iii) Rub this scrub onto your feet back and forth for about 5 minutes, and finish by rinsing it off with water.
8. DIY Tea Tree And Peppermint Foot Scrub: This easy foot scrub recipe is all refreshing to keep your feet soft and clean. You will require sea salt, tea tree essential oil, peppermint essential oil, any carrier oil (base oil) and an airtight jar/container. For carrier oil, you can use organic apricot oil.
(i) Sterilize your container by boiling for about 3-4 minutes and let it cool off.
(ii) Pour sea salt into jar so that it is 3/4 full.
(iii) Add in the base oil, so that it totally covers the sea salt.
(iv) Mix in 5-6 drops of each of the two essential oils.
Voilà! Your foot scrub is ready!!
Natural Beauty Tips:
(i) As the essential oils are concentrated, so those who have sensitive skin, try just a couple of drops initially to check how it goes.
(ii) Be careful after using oil based scrubs, so that no one slips in the bathroom.
(iii) You can have lots of variations in making foot scrubs by using different herbs and essential oils. Just opt for any essential oil of your choice, complementing it with matching herb.
(iv) You can enjoy a foot soak by placing your feet into a basin filled with warm water after scrubbing your feet with any of above scrubs and let the sugar or salt dissolves.
So, use any of the above best foot scrubs and flaunt your smooth and silky feet by wearing heels. Oh La La…..