What Vitamins Are Good For Hair Growth – Best Hair Vitamins
Vitamins are not only good for hair growth but also for their overall quality. In this article, you will find Best Vitamins for Hair Growth.
What vitamins are good for hair growth depends on the cause of the hair loss and the vitamins deficiency which one has. Certain hair vitamins work better for some people and other vitamins may work better for other people.
Natural Vitamins for Hair Growth: Natural vitamins consumed for hair growth, whether through diet or orally, are usually much, much more effective for healthy hair growth than the hair products that contain such vitamins or ingredients in chemical or other forms. For example some hair products contain biotin, but factually biotin cannot be absorbed effectively when applied topically in the form of hair product or shampoo. So by using such products not only you would be paying more, but you would be getting a not as much an effective product, as the natural vitamins are for the hair growth. For example Biotin, a natural vitamin is extremely effective for getting healthy hair when ingested orally in the form of a vitamin capsule or pill.
It is better to go via your diet by including in your diet natural best vitamins for hair growth. But if you prefer to take vitamin supplements then we advise you to consult your doctor first about which vitamin supplements to take and their dosage. You will need to have patience to see the results, as it may take months to show any visible improvements.
Best Vitamins for Hair Growth and Thickness: Look out for a good multivitamin containing the following best vitamins for hair growth or add food items containing them to your diet to make your hair thicker, stronger to withstand breakage and grow faster.
1. Biotin: Biotin, vitamin B 7, is also known as Hair Vitamin and is one of the best, if not the best vitamin for hair growth, thickness and its strength.
(i)Biotin promotes production of growth cells, fatty acids, fat metabolism and amino acid metabolism. It also helps in producing keratin, a protein made in the scalp.
(ii) Biotin deficiency can lead to loss of hair, eyebrows, eye lashes and premature graying of hair.
(iii) Whole grains, milk and rice are good source of Biotin.
2. Vitamin B6, B12 and B3 – Best Hair Vitamins: Their deficiency lead to hair loss and premature graying of hair. They also contribute in production of melanin which gives color to your hair.
(i) Vitamin B12 is an important vitamin for hair growth. Vitamin C and Iron help in absorption of vitamin B12 in your body
(ii) Vitamin B6 regulates hormones. Especially in women, a low estrogen level contributes to hormones imbalance which is often responsible for hair loss. Moreover, a deficiency of Vitamin B6 can result into depression and stress, which in turn lead to hair loss.
(iii) Vitamin B3 (Niacin) stimulates blood circulation to the scalp.
(iv) Whole grains, meat, fish, chicken, turkey, wheat germs, vegetables, egg yolks, and milk are great source of these vitamins.
Consider taking Vitamin B complex, as this will provide you with whole family of B vitamins which are good for hair quality, thickness, its faster growth and general health as well.
3. Vitamin C: Deficiency of Vitamin C can lead to dry and brittle hair that can break easily. It helps in maintaining hair color, growth and its health as well.
(i) Human body does not produce this vitamin, therefore, this vitamin must be obtained either through diet or supplements.
(ii) Citrus fruits, berries, peppers, kiwi, pineapple, green vegetables, Indian goose berry are good source of vitamin C.
4. Vitamin E: Vitamin E stimulates circulation to your scalp by augmenting oxygen uptake in your bloodstream. It helps in stopping hair loss and in some cases even reversing hair loss due to its ability to grow new blood vessels. Many hair products contain vitamin E, as it keeps hair hydrated and make them shiny. Its topical application on to the scalp also helps.
5. Vitamin D: Vitamin D helps in calcium absorption and bone growth. Calcium is essential for healthy follicles and hair. Its deficiency causes dry and damaged hair. Fortified milk is one of the very few foods that provide vitamin D. So consider taking multivitamin daily containing enough of vitamin D, in consultation with your doctor.
6. Vitamin A: A deficiency of Vitamin D results into dehydrated and dry hair that is prone to breakage.
(i) Vitamin A helps in stimulating hair follicles to produce natural oil, namely, sebum. Sebum keeps the hair moisturized resulting into less breakage and healthy hair.
(ii) Meat, eggs, spinach, cabbage, carrots, peaches, cheese and milk are good source of Vitamin A.
7. Minerals: Zinc and Iron are crucial for your hair health and growth:
(i) Zinc: Zinc helps in cell regeneration, sebum production in your scalp and contributes to protein synthesis. So, a zinc deficiency results into hair loss.
(ii) Iron: An iron deficiency, even if not that acute to cause anemia, can be a cause for or aggravate your hair loss. There are ample proofs that women who suffer through hair loss have lower levels of iron than those women who don’t. Whatever may be the cause for your hair loss, an iron deficiency further aggravates the hair loss.
8. Caution: We advise you to not to take vitamins and mineral supplements without first consulting with your doctor or qualified hair specialist. You need to check with your doctor about the specific vitamins or minerals you are needed to take and their dosage as well. An excess of these is equally or may be more detrimental to your overall health, well-being and hair, as is their deficiency. Your doctor will first test their levels and then recommend appropriate prescription.
* Please note that no treatment should be undertaken without first consulting with your doctor*
Follow above tips about best vitamins for hair growth to have healthy, thick and strong hair.
Useful Related Article: Hair Care Routine.