Do you feel embarrassed because of your dark underarms / armpits? Are you scared of raising your hands when you are wearing sleeveless top? In this article you will find 9 very effective natural home remedies to get rid of dark under arms.
What Causes Dark Underarms / Armpits?
Dark coloration of the skin in the underarms / armpits region is usually not a disease or medical condition. The main causes of dark underarms are shaving, using chemicals laden hair removing creams, buildup of dead skin cells, poor ventilation in the armpits region, and regular use of alcohol based deodorants and antiperspirants. You can think it as your skin’s response to exposure to some elements, just like a suntan that occurs from exposure to the sun’s ultraviolet rays.
You don’t have to leave them dark. To get rid of your dark underarms and restore your confidence, use these 9 simple natural home remedies that are effective, affordable and safe as well. You need to put in efforts, time and have patience, but surely you will be able to lighten your dark underarms.
How To Get Rid Of Underarm Darkness Home Remedies
1. Naturally Bleach Underarms With Potato To Get Rid Of Underarm Darkness: Potato has mild acidic properties that act as great natural bleaching agent. Unlike lemon that works as a strong natural bleaching agent and can irritate your skin, the potato does not irritate the skin. Because of its mild acidic nature, it can be applied on sensitive skin as well.
(i) Take a thin slice of a potato and rub it on your underarms for about 5-10 minutes, and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
(ii) Alternatively, you can also grate a potato and squeeze out its juice. Apply the juice over the underarms / armpits, using your fingers or a cotton ball. Let it sit there for about 10-15 minutes, and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
Apply either of these home remedies twice a day for faster results to see your underarm skin getting lightened.
2. Lemon – Underarms Lightener: Lemon acts as a natural bleaching agent, and has powerful antibacterial and antiseptic properties. Because of its natural cleanser properties, the restaurants use it in washing bowls with warm water. Its acidic properties help effectively not only for lightening skin (including dark armpits and underarms), but also in exfoliating dead skin cells. Nothing is as good a natural lightener as the lemon is!!
(i) To get rid of dead skin cells (they cause dark underarms) and dark armpits, rub a lemon wedge on the skin for a few minutes before you go for a bath. For a powerful exfoliation, sprinkle a little sugar on the lemon wedge and then use it.
(ii) Another option is to add a pinch or two of turmeric powder, plain yogurt or honey to lemon juice to make a thick paste and rub it gently to the skin on your dark underarms. Leave it there for about 10 minutes, and then wash it off with water. Apply this remedy 3-4 times a week.
Natural Beauty Tip : Lemon juice can dry out your skin. If you are using the remedies with lemon juice regularly, apply moisturizer after applying such remedies if needed.
3. Cucumber – A Skin Lightener To Reduce Underarms Darkness: Cucumber is another natural ingredient that has skin lightening properties, just like potatoes.
(i) Simply you can rub cucumber slice over your underarms or grate a cucumber and apply its juice on your underarms. Apply this remedy once or twice a day regularly to see positive results in a few days.
(ii) A more effective option is to mix cucumber juice with a little turmeric powder and lemon juice to make a thick paste. Whereas lemon will bleach and get rid of the dead skin cells, cucumber will give soothing effect and avoid any skin itching or irritation. The turmeric powder will prevent skin discoloration. Apply the paste on the dark areas, leaving it there for about 20 minutes, and then wash it off with lukewarm water. Use this ayurvedic remedy once or twice a day without any hassles for best results!!
4. Baking Soda – An Underarms Scrub To Whiten Armpits: Baking Soda can be used to make a homemade exfoliating scrub that can whiten your dark underarms. This scrub helps in removing dead skin cells resulting in unclogging the blocked pores, which is one of the main causes of dark underarms. By using baking soda scrub for underarms, you will not feel need to apply chemically laden deodorants and antiperspirants that cause dark armpits. It also exterminates bacteria and germs to provide odor free and whitened underarms.
(i) Mix baking soda with water to form a thick paste. Apply this paste to your underarms and gently scrub the dark areas. After a few minutes, wash it off and pat dry the skin. You can also apply a dusting of baking soda (if you like, you may mix with it cornstarch in equal parts) to the skin to neutralize body odor and give it a lightened appearance.
(ii) To make it easy, mix the baking soda with a little water and simply wipe your underarms with the solution.
(iii) An alternative option is, to mix and form a thick paste of baking soda and rose water. Apply it to the dark underarms, and then rinse it off with lukewarm water. Pat dry your skin. Apply this home remedy until you get your armpits lightened.
5. Orange Peel – a Natural Scrub For Underarms: Orange peels have bleaching and exfoliating properties. So they can be applied to lighten the skin under your arms. This natural armpits scrub get rid of dead skin cells, lighten the skin and leave your underarms smelling sweet due to the effects of rose water and orange itself. Here are the steps to apply this wonderful armpits scrub:
(i) Peel an orange and dry out the peels completely in shade. Grind the dried peels into a fine powder form.
(ii) Mix 2 teaspoons of the powdered orange peels with enough rose water and milk to get a thick paste.
(iii) Apply this paste and gently scrub your underarms for 5 minutes to remove dead skin cells.
(iv) Finish by washing the area with cold water.
Apply this remedy 2-3 times a week.
6. Milk For Underarm Whitening: The vitamins and fatty acids contained in milk work for getting rid of dark underarms. Milk softens the skin and renders the skin tone lighter. Moreover, when mixed with plain yogurt or curd the additional lactic acid too helps in lightening the skin. This is a very effective armpits mask, as it not only cleanses and bleaches your skin to give your skin a lighter tone, but moisturize it as well.
(i) Take 2 table spoons of full fat milk, 1 teaspoon of plain yogurt or curd and one tablespoon of gram or chickpea flour. Mix all the natural ingredients together to make a thick paste.
(ii) Rub it on your underarms skin and allow it to sit there for about 10-15 minutes. Rinse it off with water. You will feel your skin getting softer and free from dead skin cells, which will make your underarms look whiter. Using full fat milk cream will give you even better results.
(iii) Apply this remedy 3-4 times a week.
7. Natural Underarms Lightening / Whitening Pack: This is an effective natural skin whitening underarms pack / mask made from gram flour (also called as chickpea flour or besan).
(i) Take 2 tablespoons of gram flour or chickpea flour, 1 table spoon each of plain yogurt and lemon juice and a generous pinch of turmeric powder. Mix these natural ingredients together thoroughly to make a thick smooth paste.
(ii) Massage gently this pack for 2 minutes onto your underarms, leaving it there for about 20-25 minutes before washing it off with warm water.
(iii) Apply this home remedy daily for two weeks, and then 2-3 times a week until your dark underarms turn lighter.
8. Vinegar For Lighter Skin Armpits / Underarms: It’s another effective treatment to get rid of dark underarms. This remedy works to lighten the skin tone and also exterminates bacteria and germs that feed on dead skin cells.
(i) Mix vinegar and rice flour to make a thick paste. Take a lukewarm shower and apply this paste onto the underarms.
(ii) Let the paste to dry out for about 10-15 minutes, and then wash it off with lukewarm water. You will feel your underarms soft, smooth and sweet smelling.
9. Sandalwood – Armpits Skin Lightener: Sandalwood is known for its skin lightening properties, and so can be used as a natural remedy to get rid of dark underarms. You can mix rose water with it to provide a soothing and softening effect on the skin and a sweet smell as well. The natural fragrance of the sandalwood and rosewater will also help in getting rid of body odor caused by excessive sweating.
(i) Mix 2 tablespoons of sandalwood powder with enough water to form a thick paste.
(ii) Apply the paste onto your underarms skin, leaving it there to dry it out for about 15 minutes. Follow with rinsing it off with cold water.
Apply this home remedy 3 times a week for a few weeks and see the underarms skin getting lightened.
Apply the above remedy 3-4 times a week.
Follow the above home remedies for getting rid of dark underarms and get lighter, soft and smooth skin. Reward is that you will not feel embarrassed to raise your hands, even if you are wearing sleeveless top!!
Check With Doctor, If Above Dark Underarms Treatments Do Not Work
Your armpits / underarms may be dark due to a medical condition known as Acanthosis Nigricans, a skin disorder, which is often associated with obesity, insulin resistance, hormonal disorders, certain medications and cancer. This medical condition results in velvety, light-to-brown skin in areas, including the underarms / armpits. Such a condition can- not be treated with home remedies, and you must consult a doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment.
Useful Related Articles: