Treatments for dry skin fall into two broad categories. Firstly the Physical Treatment for dry skin which include using certain products that compensate the natural moisture which has been lost from the skin surface. Secondly, consuming such healthy foods that provide your body with the essential nutrients to keep your skin supple, healthy and hydrated.
What Causes Dry Skin: The main causes for dry skin are:
(i) Lack of moisture in the air; and
(ii) Use of harsh beauty products that worsen your dry skin conditions.
Why Treating Dry Skin is important for you: You must get rid of dry skin, as an excessively dry skin will make you look years older and can contribute to microscopic cracks and dwelling of bacteria into your body surface, leading to skin infections.
How To Treat Dry Skin
Follow these home remedies for dry skin to keep your skin healthy, hydrated and supple.
1. Vaseline is your best friend: First step in our list of “how to get rid of dry skin fast” is to apply a tiny bit of Vaseline onto dry parts of your skin twice in a week or as needed. Let the Vaseline sit on your skin for 10 minutes.
2. Baby Treatment for dry skin:
(i) The normal skin-smoothing scrubs are coarse and can strip away even the dry skin’s delicate outer layer.
(ii) So the second step in our list of getting rid of dry skin is to swap your abrasive scrub with a baby’s washcloth as it will work gently and softly on your skin.
3. A Natural Beauty Tip – Milk, a natural friend of Dry Skin:
(i) Most cleansers contain a chemical called sodium lauryl sulfate, which strip moisture of your skin. So choose a mild, non-sudsy, soap-free and fragrance-free cleanser for dry skin.
(ii) Apply 2 % or whole milk three times a week with a soft baby’s washcloth to give a breather to your skin, which will naturally hydrate your skin.
(iii) Milk contains lactic acid which will act as a gentle cleanser and the fat in milk will moisturize your skin naturally.
4. Apply Aloe Mask once a week: Aloe mask is good for getting rid of dry skin on your face, as it will hydrate your face skin and also ease inflammation and redness on the skin.
5. Humidifier, a natural beauty tip for how to get rid of dry skin on body, legs and face:
(i) Get a humidifier into your bedroom. The main cause for your dry skin can be dry air.
(ii) Alternatively, place a pot of water near to your radiator. This will help in adding some moisture back into air.
6. How to get rid of dry skin on eyelids: The eyelids are most prone to dryness. In case your eyelids are dry and itchy, apply a hydrocortisone cream a few times a day over your eyelids after removing make-up. This will keep them hydrated and reduce itchy-ness.
7. Diet for dry skin treatment:
(a) Dry skin occurs sometimes when your body is dehydrated. Consume a lot of water during the day, as it is the most required moisturizing element in your diet.
(b) Omega-3 essential fatty acids conserve your skin’s natural oils and compensate for loss of moisture from your skin. So, include in your diet:
(i) Walnuts; (ii) Almonds; (iii) Flaxseeds; and (iv) Cold water fish, such as salmon and sardines.
(c) Anti-oxidants are also helpful in preserving moisture into your skin, so include in your diet foods that contain anti-oxidants, like:
(i) Citrus fruits and (ii) Red vegetables.
(d) Avoid alcohol as much as you can.
8. Some more natural beauty about how do you get rid of dry skin :
(i) Add two to three drops of glycerin into the bottle of your favorite moisturizer.
(ii) Pat skin with soft towel to dry instead of rubbing with towel.
(iii) Avoid frequent steam baths.
If after following above steps the dry skin still persists, it is recommended that you consult a dermatologist.
Related Useful Articles: