One of the best ways to get rid of oily and greasy hair fast overnight is to wash your hair with a good quality oil free shampoo to remove the sticky oils from your hair and scalp. Other ways are to apply the home remedies outlined in this article on a regular basis, using inexpensive natural ingredients like baking soda, apple cider vinegar, aloe-vera, lemon and egg yolk, to keep the grease and oil in your hair under control.
Getting Rid Of Greasy Hair Fast At Home
1. Don’t Wash Your Hair Every Day: When you wash your hair, you remove the natural moisturizing oils. Everyday washing of hair can lead your oil glands to go over-drive and produce more moisturizing oils to compensate for oil loss, making your hair greasy and sticky with oil. Wash your hair with a good oil removal shampoo not more than three times a week to get rid of oil from your hair.
Note: During first couple of weeks your hair may look oily in between hair washing, as your scalp is still used to producing more oil. Continue with this routine for things to get in balance.
2. Ditch The Hair Conditioner: Use conditioner sparingly, as it is not necessary when your scalp is producing too much oil to keep your hair from drying out. Some hair experts say to the extent of advising to skip conditioner altogether until your greasy hair problem is solved, or to apply it only to the ends of the hair. Adding more conditioner to your hair can make your hair get oily faster, requiring too often hair washing and triggering the cycle of oil overproduction.
3. Use Good Quality Shampoos, Conditioners And Hair Products: Cheap and substandard quality shampoos, conditioners, hair sprays, and gels contain a lot of chemicals that build up oil and grease in your hair to make it look greasy. Instead go for products made up of natural ingredients, which will create less build-up and you will not need to wash your hair too often. These days there are available many oil controlling shampoos that you can use to wash your hair.
4. Rinse Your Hair Thoroughly To Avoid Residue On Your Hair: After shampooing, rinse your hair thoroughly so that no residue is left behind which can otherwise make your hair to attract more dirt and oil. Mantra is to rinse, rinse, and rinse for at least 30 seconds, so that no shampoo or conditioner residue is left behind. In many cases the actual problem arises due to not rinsing your hair properly after shampooing.
5. Hands Off: Touch, brush or comb your hair as sparingly as possible, if you have oily hair tendencies. The more you touch, brush, or even style your hair, the more your scalp will produce and spread grease and that will make your hair oily.
6. Minimize Your Hair Contact With Hot Temperature: When your hair comes in contact with hot temperature, it produces more oil and look greasy. So do following three things to get rid of greasy hair. Don’t wash your hair with hot water. Instead use lukewarm or cold water for washing your hair. Second is to use hair dryers at low temperatures. Third is to protect your hair from sunlight in summers. While going out in summer afternoons take care to wear hats or tie bandana around your head. Hot temperature not only makes your hair oily, but causes premature greying of your hair and early hair loss.
7. Avoid Stress And Depression: Stress and depression cause hormonal imbalance that can result into more production of oils on your skin and hair. Try to get rid of stress and depression by exercising, doing yoga or meditation. This will help you to get rid of oily hair and other skin and hair problems.
8. Go For Healthy Diet: Healthy Diet will keep your hair and skin nourished and healthy. Include in your diet salmon and walnuts for omega-3s, and spinach and carrots for vitamin A. Foods rich in protein and iron make your hair healthy, as deficiency in protein and iron can cause hair thinning and hair loss.
How Do You Get Rid Of Greasy Hair Naturally – Home Remedies Using Natural Ingredients
1. Aloe Vera – An anti-oxidant And Cleanser: Aloe-Vera works as an anti-oxidant and is known for its cleansing properties that work to get rid of excess grease and oil from your hair. Following are the ways to use aloe-vera gel on your hair.
(i) You can mix the aloe-vera gel with any good quality shampoo to remove oil from your hair.
(ii) Apply the aloe-vera gel onto your hair for 15 minutes and then rinse it off thoroughly from your hair with lukewarm water.
(iii) Take a good quality mild shampoo in a cup; mix a tablespoon of lemon juice and one teaspoon of aloe-vera gel. Mix this well and apply it on to your oily hair for few minutes and then rinse it off thoroughly.
2. Vinegar – A Natural Astringent: It has astringent properties, so can be used to remove oil and grease from your hair and scalp. But make sure to apply only diluted apple cider or white vinegar on your hair. Mix two to three tablespoons of apple cider vinegar or white vinegar into a cup of water. Massage this mixture onto your hair, so that it spreads all over your scalp and hair. Let it sit there for 10 minutes. Wash it off thoroughly. Repeat this process two to three times a week to remove all dirt and get rid of grease from your hair.
Note: The smell will go away as soon as your hair gets dry.
3. Lemon Juice To Clean Hair: Lemon juice contains citric acid and is a good home remedy to treat greasy and oily hair. It is used to clear dirt and oil from your hair and skin. Extract the juice out of two lemons and mix it in a cup of water, and apply this mixture onto your hair leaving it there for a couple of minutes. Wash it off with a shampoo to remove the dandruff, dirt, oil and grease from your hair. Repeat this process thrice a week to get rid of oil quickly.
4. Eggs – Your Hair Friend: Eggs work on your hair to remove excess oil and condition your hair as well. It’s an ancient time natural remedy to treat excess oil and grease in the hair. Beat one or two eggs as per your need and mix well with curd and lemon juice. Apply this hair mask on your hair and leave it there for 10 to 15 minutes. Rinse it off thoroughly without leaving any residue. Try this home remedy two or three times a week to get rid of grease and oil from your hair.
5. Tea – Tannic Acid For Hair: Tea contains tannic acid that can help to remove oil and grease from your hair. Boil tea leaves or tea powder in water for 10 minutes, without adding sugar. Let it cool down and mix well a few drops of lemon juice into it. Apply this mixture onto your scalp and hair, leaving it for 4-5 minutes. Rinse it off and wash your hair with shampoo to work as a quick greasy hair fix.
6. Baking Soda – To Make Your Hair Oil And Grease Free: Baking soda has properties that can get you relief from oily and greasy hair. There are several ways to use baking soda in getting rid of excess oil and grease from your hair. A simple way is to just add one tablespoon of baking soda into a cup of water and rinse your hair with this mixture. Another way is to add baking soda to a shampoo of your choice, mix it well and wash your hair thoroughly with it. Try using this home remedy twice a week to get desired results.
7. Henna Powder – To Keep Your Hair Oil And Grease Free: Henna powder not only removes excess oil from your scalp and hair, but also helps in keeping your hair soft, shiny and smooth. Mix thoroughly 5 to 6 tablespoons of henna powder with 2 cups of water to make a smooth paste. Apply this mixture on to your hair leaving it there till it dries out. Rinse your hair with water to make your hair clean, soft and shiny.
Related Useful Articles:
Natural Beauty Tips For Oily Skin
How To Get Rid Of Oily Face Naturally
Wonderful tips dear 🙂 thanks a lot for sharing…stay in touch…hugs
hi this help alot i hate crasse harry don’t you to.
Nice tips Though I like to use tea tree oil it helps more !!
Create advise on ditching the conditioner. If you need to use a conditioner try to use a natural products without all the harsh chemicals.
I use organic natural conditioner….. my hair is very oily…..so it doesn’t work?
Try showering without conditioner for a couple days, see how your hair looks, if you like it, keep going with that and maybe conditioner once a week, just so your hair won’t be totally dry. If you use conditioner and find that it leaves your scalp too heavy or greasy, then a trick is simply use it on the ends alone and not on your roots.
I’ve been using the vinegar method for years now. My hair was never greasy til mid high-school even after washing it would still be greasy and I was so embarrassed I wore a hat all the inevitable til I tried the vinegar now I only need to use it every 4 or 5 months to get my hair in check.
Good job …
Thx for the tips ?
Hello , i am morrocan and henna is something from my country and yes henna is very nice for your hair but it dies your hair with a slight red tint so be carfull befor using it . ^-^