Enlarged open pores on face can make your skin look aged and unhealthy. They can also increase other skin care problems, such as acne and blackheads, especially for people with oily skin. Are you curious to know how to shrink large pores or reduce pore size? Many people end up using products or treatments for large pores that instead of minimizing the pores make matters worse! To attain the best possible results, first you need to know what causes large pores and then how to treat large pores?
What Causes Large Pores?
Following are the main causes of enlarged pores:
(i) Protracted Sun Exposure: It can lead to enlarged open pores as it damages the skin collagen, thereby shrinking the elasticity of the walls of the skin pore canals.
(ii) Age Factor: With aging, the open pores tend to enlarge as the skin loses its elasticity.
(iii) Genetics: In some cases heredity is the cause for enlarged pores.
(iv) Excessive Oil Production: If the oil production is normal, the natural oil (sebum) clearly flows through the skin pore lining to get out of the pore and spread over the skin’s surface gradually. On the other hand if the oil glands produce too much of oil, the excess oil combines with other substances (like skin dead cells, dirt, and sweat) in the pores to create clogs. Consequently, these clogs render it tough for the oil to flow freely, thereby causing the pores to get enlarged.
Although the pores widen to offer extra space for the oil to flow out, the oil can still be entrapped (particularly around the nose) by the dead skin cells. When this happens, the substances (oil and skin cells) at the head of the clogged pores is exposed to the air and oxidized to form blackheads.
How To Get Rid Of Large Pores On Nose, Face And Cheeks?
Although, you have option of using several cosmetic products available on the market to treat enlarged skin pores problem, but you need to keep in mind that skin pores are a natural part of your skin and they cannot be eliminated completely. Before you spend lots of money on the expensive branded products, you can apply these natural home remedies for large pores. You can use these natural remedies to reduce or shrink the size of open pores fast and reduce blackheads:
1. Exfoliating, Cleansing And Moisturizing: Open pores tend to look enlarged when they are clogged with oil. One fast way to shrink large pores on face, nose or cheeks is by proper cleansing and fixing your skin problems. To reduce the size of your existing enlarged pores, you need to exfoliate your skin consistently to get rid of dead skin cells that can otherwise widen pores and thicken oils that can make your pore size to get enlarged. You can make a natural scrub at home by mixing together grounded orange dry peel and grounded almonds. This home made scrub is one of the best for removing dead skin cells and cleansing the skin. This also works to reduce size of the big, opened pores on nose, cheeks and face.
2. Lemon Juice, Cucumber Juice And Rose Water To Tighten Skin Pores: One of the best natural remedies to reduce large pores is applying lemon juice. Lemon juice contains natural enzymes that can firm up and tighten the facial skin. Its acidic characteristic also cleanses deep skin impurities, while vitamin C helps in lightening the skin.
For minimizing large skin pores naturally, mix 1 tablespoon of lemon juice with 1 cup of rose water and 1/2 cup of cucumber juice. Stir all the ingredients together thoroughly and apply on the skin area having enlarged pores to cleanse, lighten the skin and for shrinking pores as well.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar – A Treatment For Large Pores: It acts as a natural astringent and skin toner that removes thicken oils, blackheads or whiteheads and cleanse your skin pores. Consequently, it naturally tightens your skin, shrinks big pores, and restores the skin’s pH balance. It also has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory characteristics, which help in treating acne and pimple flare-ups.
(i) Mix organic apple cider and water in equal parts.
(ii) Soak a cotton ball in the mixture and rub it gently onto the big pores on your face, nose, chin and cheeks and leave it on for few minutes, and then rinse it off with cool water.
(iii) Apply this remedy every night after cleansing your face for fast results. Follow up with a gentle moisturizer. Within a few weeks, you will observe positive results.
If you are looking for quick fix and faster results, here are the Top Over-The-Counter Pores Minimizers.
4. Egg White And Lemon Juice: Egg white face mask works great for drawing excess oil out of greasy skin. Egg white and lemon face mask helps to shrink large pores, because it tones up and tightens the skin.
(i) Egg White Face Pack: Break 1 egg, remove it’s the yellow portion, whip the white portion and spread it evenly over your face. Wait for it to dry out completely, and then rinse it off. As eggs white dry, it pulls debris out of pores and tightens the skin. Use this home remedy once or twice a week consistently.
(ii) To get quick results, after applying egg white mask on your face, cover your skin with pieces of soft tissue paper and peel them off after the mask dries completely.
(iii) Egg White Face Mask: Alternatively, use this homemade mask. Break 2 eggs, remove the yellow portion from it, whisk the white portion and mix juice freshly squeezed from 1/2 of a lemon. Apply it evenly on your face. Let it dry out completely and leave it on for 10 minutes. Finally rinse it off with water. Repeat it few times a week.
(iv) Egg White Face Scrub: Another option is to use this homemade scrub. Break 1 egg, remove the yellow portion from it, whisk the white portion and mix with 2 tablespoon each of lemon juice and oatmeal. Apply it evenly onto your face, and let it dry out and remain on your face for about 30 minutes. Finally scrub it off and rinse your face with cool water. For fast results, do this remedy twice a week.
5. Homemade Tomato Lotion To Reduce Pore Size: This natural remedy works effectively to reduce size of enlarged skin pores because of tomatoes’ astringent properties. Due to this property, tomatoes help to remove surplus oil, tighten the skin, and minimize large open skin pores. Tomatoes also have lycopene and anti-oxidants. They act to slow down aging of the skin and help to repair skin fast as well. Make a tomato lotion by mixing together 1 tablespoon of fresh tomato juice with 3-4 drops of freshly squeezed lemon juice. Apply this lotion on your face to get rid of enlarged pores. Keep this lotion on the skin for about 15 minutes, and then rinse it off with cool water. Bonus point is that this remedy also works to remove blemishes from your face.
6. Large Pores Treatment With Baking Soda: It acts as a gentle exfoliating agent, so helps in getting rid of extra oil, dirt and impurities from your skin. Baking soda not only makes your skin clear and fare, but also makes the skin pores smaller. The other plus points are that it restores pH balance of the skin. Moreover, it has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, so can treat skin problems such as acne and pimples.
(i) Combine 2 tablespoons each of baking soda and lukewarm water.
(ii) Spread the mixture onto your skin and using your clean finger-tips, massage it gently in circular motions for few seconds.
(iii) Finally rinse it off with cool water and apply moisturizer.
(iv) Use this remedy every day for 6-7 days, and then cut down the frequency to 3-4 times a week and continue for a few weeks.
7. Clay Masks / Fuller’s Earth – Natural Remedy For Open Large Pores: Clay masks can be used for absorbing excess oils and are great options for treating large pores, as long as they do not contain other ingredients that irritate the skin. Fuller’s earth (also known as multani mitti) is an effective home remedy for open pores as it naturally absorbs extra oils and exfoliates the skin as well. The bonus point is, it reduces scars and blemishes and treat sun-damaged skin as well.
(i) Combine enough rose water with 2 tablespoons of fuller’s earth, stir or blend these two ingredients well to form a smooth paste.
(ii) Apply this mask on your face, leaving it on for about 25 minutes until it dries.
(iii) Scrub the mask off and finally rinse your face with cool water. Apply a gentle moisturizer.
(iv) Repeat this mud mask remedy once or twice a week consistently.
8. Sugar Scrub To Shrink Large Pores: Homemade sugar scrubs are very effective in exfoliating skin, removing extra oil and debris from your skin pores, so have ability to reduce skin pores size.
(i) Put a little bit of sugar on a lemon wedge and gently rub it onto your entire face. Wait for about 10 minutes and then rinse it off your face with cool water. Use this remedy up to two times a week regularly.
(ii) Combine 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a few drops of freshly squeezed lemon juice and mix them well. Gently massage it on your skin for about a minute and thereafter rinse it off with cool water. Use this remedy up to twice a week consistently.
(iii) Mix honey, freshly squeezed lemon juice and a little sugar thoroughly. Rub this homemade scrub onto your skin, allow it to sit there for about 10 minutes, and then rinse it off. Apply this remedy up to twice a week.
9. Yogurt To Tighten Skin Pores: Yogurt is a great natural remedy for shrinking skin pores and in removing blemishes from skin. Take some fresh yogurt (unsweetened and unflavored) and apply it on your skin before taking bath, leaving it on for 10 minutes. Yogurt contains lactic acid that helps to minimize pores size, tighten skin, remove dead skin cells, and get rid of excess oil and impurities from the pore openings.
Natural Beauty Tips To Prevent / Avoid Getting Large Pores On Face, Nose, Chin And Cheeks
(i) Never use skin-care products that block / clog pores or cause your oil glands to emit more oil. Stop using products that are too emollient (like thick or greasy lotions / creams) or which have a creamy texture, as many moisturizers do. Especially if you have oily skin, such products will result into clogged pores.
(ii) Don’t use products that have drying or skin irritating ingredients, as they provoke more oil production directly in the pores.
(iii) Don’t use bar soaps as the ingredients that keep the bar soap in a bar shape can clog pores.
(iv) Use only gentle, water soluble cleansers.
(v) Use water based, oil free moisturizers. Moisturizing your face is an essential skin-care step to get rid of enlarged pores and for having healthy, glowing skin. De-hydrated skin (lack of moisturizer) can make your skin to yield more oil, which can result into clogging of pores, acne breakouts and blackheads occurrence.
(vi) Take care about the type of makeup you use and ensure to clean the makeup at night. Don’t use thick, heavy makeup to hide marks, even out an uneven skin tone, or conceal large pores as the texture of such cosmetics can aggravate your skin problems. Also, make sure to remove entire makeup every night. Neglecting to remove all of your makeup every night can further block your already clogged pores, thereby intensifying blackheads and white bumps, and that will result into a dull-looking skin. I don’t think you will like to get into such a nightmare!
Above home remedies for enlarged pores are the best selected natural treatments that can make your large pores smaller. The natural ingredients will help to unclog the pores and make your skin glowing and blemish free. The key is to apply the remedies consistently for reducing size of the pores.
If you are looking for quick fix and faster results, here are the Top Over-The-Counter Pores Minimizers.
Useful Related Article: