Yellowing of teeth with aging is a natural process. Many over-the-counter teeth whitener are available on the market or you can pay to your dentist to do it for you. These options no doubt work a bit, but your teeth can get sensitive and might hurt you after these treatments and you might repent later for having chosen these options.
If your teeth are stained yellow slightly, there are natural ways to whiten them back and brighten your smile, with a bit of patience. These home remedies for yellow teeth are not going to cost you much.
Don’t ever try to bleach them crazily or use harsh ingredients on them because these options will whiten your teeth, but at the cost of hurting them more rather than doing any good.
Home Remedies To Whiten Teeth
Prevention is better than Cure: In the first place we should know how to prevent our teeth from getting stained.
1. Avoid Smoking: Tobacco is the main villain that leads your teeth to become yellow or stained. The chemicals contained in the smoke fill your mouth and in the process stick to your teeth.
2. Cut Back on Tea, Coffee, Wine and Dark Drinks, such as Coke / Pepsi: These dark drinks contain colored ingredients that can cause stained teeth. Cutting down on their consumption will naturally lead to less stains on your teeth.
Advice: After drinking these beverages, try to brush your teeth. If you don’t have a toothbrush or sink nearby, take a few sips of water and swish around water in your mouth in order to remove the residues.
3. Eat Less Sweets: Sugary products acts harshly on your teeth and gums and cause development of plaque, cavities and gum disease resulting into stains and yellowness on your teeth.
Advice: Avoid or at least cut down on eating sugary products and drinking sweetened beverages. If and when you consume them, brush your teeth or rinse out your mouth with water thereafter.
4. Protect Tooth Enamel: With age our tooth enamel wears off naturally over time. The layer below the enamel is not as bright as the enamel is; therefore our teeth start looking yellow in tone. Once tooth enamel wears away, it’s difficult to restore that youthful whiteness. So protect and delay erosion of your tooth enamel as long as possible.
Advice: Restrict eating acidic foods, like sour candy. Make it sure to rinse out your mouth after having acidic foods. Avoid alcohol.
Home Remedies For Teeth Whitening
Here is a rundown on home remedies for whitening your teeth, using inexpensive natural ingredients available in every household. Use these home remedies to get back your pearly bright smile.
1. Baking Soda: Baking soda is one of the best ingredients to remove yellow stains from your teeth. It also helps in getting rid of plaque and making your teeth look bright.
(i) Mix some baking soda with a little toothpaste. Brush your teeth with this coarse mixture. Apply this remedy once a week.
(ii) Mix baking soda with lemon juice, white vinegar or water to make a paste. Brush your teeth with this paste once a week.
(iii) Mix one tablespoon of baking soda with one and half tablespoon of diluted 3% hydrogen peroxide with one cup of water to make your own mouthwash. You can use this homemade mouthwash 2 to 3 times a day.
Warning: Baking soda acts as an abrasive on the enamel, therefor do not use it every day. Also if you have sensitive teeth, avoid this remedy. For normal teeth use it once a week.
2. Strawberries: Make a paste by crushing few strawberries. Rub the paste gently onto your teeth. The vitamin C and seeds will help in removing plaque, making your teeth whiter in the process. Use this once a day and watch the yellow tinge on your teeth vanishing away over time.
Advice: Strawberries contain sugar and acid. Brush your teeth thirty minutes after applying this remedy.
3. Orange Peel: To diminish yellow tone on your teeth, rub orange peel onto them regularly. The vitamin C and calcium contained in the peel will tackle the microorganisms effectively.
(i) Clean your teeth with orange peel before you sleep every night and notice the positive results in a few weeks.
(ii) You can use orange peel powder, in case fresh orange peel is not available.
(iii) Rinse your teeth after this application.
4. Banana Peel: Rub the inside of a banana peel on your teeth for 3-4 minutes. After you are finished with rubbing, wait for some time, and then brush your teeth. Follow this home remedy for few weeks and show case your bright teeth smile to your friends.
5. Hydrogen Peroxide / Water Mouthwash: You can make your own mouthwash at home by mixing 3% hydrogen peroxide and water in equal parts. Rinse and swish around this mixture in your mouth, but take care not to swallow it. Hydrogen Peroxide has mild bleaching effect on your teeth to restore their whiteness.
Warning: Use hydrogen peroxide sparingly, as it can be harsh on the tooth enamel, cause irritation to the gums and make your teeth more sensitive.
6. Crunchy Fruits and Vegetables: When you bite into crunchy fruits or vegetables, they scrub your teeth like a toothbrush and make them whiter by removing the film that may stain your teeth.
(i) Eating other crunchy food items, such as carrots, cucumbers is also a good technique to use, if you are out during the day and looking for a fast way to brighten your smile.
(ii) This method works best with the firmest, freshest apple or other crunchy fruits like pears. A tart apple will give better results than the soft, sugary one.
7. Calcium Rich Diet: In order to re-mineralize tooth enamel and protect your teeth against plaque, have food items that have more calcium and vitamin D, such as dairy products including milk, yogurt and cheese. Remember less plaque is a sure way to whiten your teeth.
Natural Beauty Tips For Whitening Your Teeth
1. Enamel wears off over time as a natural process. So older people usually have gray or yellow teeth.
2. Make sure not to use too many whitening agents. Use them in moderation, so that you don’t lose your tooth enamel early and end up with sensitive yellow teeth, which any case you will not like.
3. Brush your teeth about 30 minutes after eating sugary or acidic products. If you don’t have tooth brush with you, take few sips of water and swish around your mouth before swallowing.
4. Don’t eat too much of sweets or chocolates.
5. Take few sips of water every hour or so and swish it around your mouth to wash away debris and residues that build up on your teeth throughout the day.
As the turning of your teeth into a gray or yellow tone is a natural process as you age, so don’t try to overuse baking soda, hydrogen peroxide or other over-the-counter whitening treatments as they may wear off your tooth enamel sooner and harm your teeth more than doing any good. Use such treatments sparingly or better use the natural ingredients.
Related Useful Articles: