How To Moisturize Hair – To Get Shiny, Soft and Smooth Hair
Dry hair is a sure passage to getting damaged and dull hair. In this article, you will find tips about how to moisturize hair to get soft, smooth and shiny hair.
Hair gets dry when it does not have adequate amount of natural moisture and oil. Over-exposure to the sun, excessive washing – particularly with chemical substances, excessive use of hot styling methods, products, excessive dying of hair, etc. can lead to dry hair.
Moisture is most essential for hair natural health and shine. Keep your hair hydrated to make it healthy and look at its best.
How To Moisturize Dry Hair: The cosmetic products generally over load your hair with chemicals. The regular use of these chemical products can sometimes damage the moisture of the hair. The natural oil produced by the hair is the best natural moisturizer. So, it is better to use natural products to keep hold of it.
1. Keep your hair clean: If you have too much of dirt or grime on your hair cuticles (outer layers), then whatever moisturizer you may apply, there is less probability of it penetrating into your hair cuticles.
2. Always Use Water/Moisture First: Your hair needs water as much as the plants need it. Without water plants die. So is the case with your hair. Water is the best moisturizer for your hair.
Remember the water not only makes your hair softer, easy to manage but it also helps your hair in absorbing other products, like moisturizers, better.
3. Natural Oils: We recommend massage of your scalp and hair with natural oils, once or twice a week, as the best ways to moisturize your hair naturally. The foremost in our list of how to moisturize hair is to use jojoba oil for massaging your scalp and hair. By doing it you can regain the shine and brightness of your hair. The reason is that this oil is similar to the sebum (natural hair moisturizer). Alternatively, the other equally best is coconut oil.
We also recommend natural oils like olive, coconut, almond, avocado, rosemary essential oils, wheat germ oil, shea oil and herbal oils like nettle oil, burdock oil, plantain oil, etc for massaging. These oils are very effective, since they provide variety of nutrients, vitamins essentially required for your scalp and hair.
After massaging your hair, let the oil sit on your hair for at least half an hour before washing it off with moisturizing shampoo.
4. Water-Based Moisturizer – Best Moisturizers: Consider using a water-based moisturizer. It comes in various consistencies like liquid sprays or hair lotions or super thick creams.
5. Hair Ends Too Need Moisturizer: Do not only focus on roots. The sebum (natural oil), which your scalp produces, does not travel down far enough to reach your hair ends. So you need to moisturize your hair from roots till hair ends.
6. Moisturize Your Hair in Sections: To make sure that the moisturizer reaches all the parts of your hair, apply it onto your hair in sections.
7. Natural Beauty Tips – Weekend Natural Moisturizer For Dry Hair:
(i) Avocado, Coconut and Olive Oil: Cut open an avocado and remove the seed. Scoop out the avocado pulp and blend smoothly it with 1 to 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1/4 to 1/2 cup of coconut oil. Adjust the amount of these ingredients depending upon length & thickness of your hair.
Moisten your hair and apply the blended mixture throughout your hair. Let it sit on your hair for at least half an hour and then wash it off with a moisturizing shampoo and condition your hair as usual.
If your hair is super dry, consider leaving the blended mixture overnight and also using conditioner only for washing your hair, as shampoo can strip your hair off its natural oils.
You can keep any leftover mixture in an air-tight container in refrigerator for your use next time.
(ii) Mayonnaise: It is very effective. Take one tablespoon of only full fat mayonnaise. Apply it on your scalp and hair and leave it there for at least half an hour and rinse it off and use a moisturizing shampoo to wash your hair.
(iii) Eggs: Blend three eggs, 2 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a container. You can vary the amount of these depending upon length of your hair. Apply it on your hair throughout. Leave it there for at least 30 minutes, before you wash it off with a moisturizing shampoo. Egg is very nutritious for your hair, as it provides many essential nutrients, protein, vitamin A & D.
Other Natural Beauty Tips about how to moisturize hair:
Use butters or oils as sealants: With the exception of few oils, like coconut oil which is capable of penetrating the cuticles, butter or oils sit on the outer layers of your hair. So use them as sealants to lock in the moisture instead of using them as moisturizers.
Do not use butter or oil on dry, un-moisturized hair: They will just sit on outer layers of your hair and block out any moisture from penetrating into your hair cuticles. So first moisturize your hair then use them.
Apply above tips about how to moisturize hair to get shiny, soft and smooth hair.
Useful Related Article: Home remedies for dry brittle hair.