Turmeric, also known as the golden spice of life, is an all-natural skincare ingredient that can be applied topically for many skin care benefits! Turmeric has extraordinary anti-inflammatory, anti-septic, antibacterial, and anti-aging properties, which make it not only an excellent herbal remedy, but also one of the most powerful natural ingredients for skin care beauty products. Because of its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties, turmeric has been used for centuries in Ayurvedic remedies to reduce the signs of aging, exfoliate dead skin, brighten the skin (leaving it radiant and glowing) and reduce the visibility of acne scars. In nutshell it makes your skin look young, glowing and beautiful!
How To Use Turmeric On Skin – Ayurvedic Skin Care Recipes
Using turmeric is an inexpensive, natural way for treating several skin issues and brightening your skin with flawless, wrinkles free & naturally glowing complexion. That is why turmeric has been used as a skin beauty product for centuries.
1. Use Turmeric To Treat Acne: Due to turmeric’s antiseptic and antibacterial properties, it’s an effective remedy to treat pimples and acne breakouts to provide a youthful glow to your skin. A turmeric facemask reduces oil production by sebaceous glands; helps to lessen inflammation and clear acne scars as well.
For Oily Skin – Turmeric, Sandalwood And Orange Juice Face Mask
Ingredient Benefits: Turmeric is good for oily skin because it controls secretion of sebum, an oily substance produced by the sebaceous glands. Sandalwood works as a natural astringent and orange juice being a source of vitamin C, helps to fade away skin blemishes.
Method: Combine 1-½ tablespoons of sandalwood powder with 3 tablespoons of orange juice and add in a pinch of ground turmeric. Mix the three ingredients together thoroughly to form a uniform paste. Massage it on your face, neck and chest leaving it on for about 15 minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
Instead of orange juice, you can use freshly squeezed lemon juice. Simply prepare a face pack by mixing turmeric powder, sandalwood powder and adding lemon juice just enough to make a uniform paste.
For Dry Skin – Egg White, Olive Oil, Lemon Juice And Rose Water Facial Mask
If you have dry skin, use this facemask. Beat 1 egg white, and add in 2 drops of olive oil, ¼ teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice, a little of rose water and a pinch of turmeric powder. Mix well the mixture. Message gently on your face, neck, chest, elbows and knees. Let it to dry out completely and then wash it off with water.
2. Use Turmeric To Treat Fine Lines And Wrinkles: Applying the paste of turmeric in combination with other natural ingredients is surely an effective solution to fade away the facial lines and reduce wrinkles.
Preparation of the turmeric paste is also quite easy. You can prepare a turmeric facemask by just mixing turmeric powder and rice powder with raw milk and tomato juice to form a spreadable paste. Apply it on your face and neck, leaving it on for 30 minutes. Rinse off with lukewarm water. This will reduce wrinkles as well as brighten your skin.
Alternatively, just sprinkle some turmeric powder onto 2 teaspoons of buttermilk. Mix well till it turns into a uniform thin spreadable paste. Apply onto facial lines and wrinkles and let the paste stay there for about 30 minutes before washing it off with cool water. Even if you don’t have facial lines and wrinkles, applying this turmeric facial pack regularly will work as a good preventive remedy.
3. Use Turmeric To Treat Signs of Aging: With its wonderful antioxidant property, turmeric can help in many ways to delay signs of ageing. It can also help in protecting skin from UV damage – a common cause for skin issues.
Turmeric compounds can counteract many of the skin aging detrimental effects by suppressing inflammatory proteins. Turmeric is often included in skin treatment creams that contain alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs), which are used to treat signs of aging (e.g., wrinkles and age spots).
Make a spreadable paste by mixing turmeric powder and gram flour (besan) in equal parts with water. You can use raw milk or even yogurt (curd) instead of water for additional benefits. Apply it evenly on your body and let it dry out. While scrubbing your face gently in circular motion, rinse it off using lukewarm water.
4. Turmeric To Treat Stretch Marks: According to Dr. Bounleua Oudavong, Deputy Director of the Mother and Child Health Hospital in Laos, turmeric is a medicinal plant, which has been used by women in rural regions to maintain their skin-beauty. Whereas many expensive products available on market can help to treat stomach scars, or stretch marks, turmeric is not only easily available but will not pinch your purse also. Oudavong recommends mixing turmeric powder with water, applying it onto stretch marks in the morning and at night, and continuing this treatment until the stretch marks fade away.
Alternatively, you can mix turmeric powder with natural organic oils to create a paste for treatment of stretch marks. Another option is to mix turmeric with yogurt / curd. Apply this paste onto your waist and stomach before taking a bath. Allow the treatment to soak into the stretch marks for 20 to 30 minutes and then wash it off. For example, you can mix turmeric powder with buttermilk or organic coconut oil to achieve the same results. Turmeric treatments should be used daily and massaged gently into your skin until your stretch marks either fade or disappear. The earlier you start treating your stretch marks, the easier it is to eliminate them.
5. Turmeric To Reduce Skin Pigmentation And Skin Tanning: Make a thick paste mixing well turmeric powder, fresh cucumber juice or some lemon juice. Apply gently on the affected skin areas for about 30 minutes. Wash off the paste with cool water. Repeat this regularly to help reduce skin tanning as well as pigmentation.
6. Use Turmeric To Remove Facial Hair: Turmeric can be used for removing unwanted facial hair. Mix 1/4 cup of Gram flour (Besan) with 2 teaspoons turmeric powder and store it in a container. When you want to use it, take out two teaspoons of the mixture and put in a glass bowl. Add in some raw milk, mix well and make a thick spreadable paste. Apply a nice thick even layer all over the face. Wait for it to dry out completely and then start rubbing it off. Make sure to rub in the opposite direction of your hair growth. Be gentle when rubbing as it might cause redness. After you finish rubbing most of the mask off, wash your face with lukewarm water to get the remaining pieces off. Splash cold water over your face to soothe the skin. Apply your favorite moisturizer. Repeat this 2-3 times a week.
7. Turmeric To Treat Cracked Feet: This is a very effective Ayurvedic remedy for cracked heels. Turmeric is rich in curcuminoids. This compound has great antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. If the cracks in your feet are due to some infection like athlete’s foot, turmeric is the remedy for you. Mix 3 tablespoons of turmeric powder with few drops of melted pure coconut oil to make a thick spreadable paste. Apply this to your cracked feet, fill in the cracks properly and also apply it in between the toes. You may want to wrap your feet with bandage or cloth after applying turmeric. Wait for 30 minutes, and then wash it off with lukewarm water and a mild soap. Take care not to walk or place your turmeric-ridden feet anywhere as it stains anything that comes in its contact. Repeat this treatment everyday till the cracked feet are healed.
8. Turmeric To Exfoliate Your Skin: Turmeric does wonders to the skin as an exfoliant. Apart from removing dead skin and impurities, the turmeric mask also maintains the natural pH balance of the skin and imparts a healthy glow to it. Mix 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder with 2 tablespoons of oatmeal or chickpea or gram flour. Add in a little water to make a thick spreadable paste. Massage this paste onto your face, neck and chest. Rub gently into skin for 2 minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water. Ideally do this regularly before shower so that you can deal with the yellow stain that the turmeric mask leaves on skin. This way you can rid you of dead skin cells to give you a glowing and spotless skin.
9. Ayurvedic Turmeric Night Cream: For a bright, glowing skin, and a lighter complexion, try this turmeric night cream. Turmeric is an effective ancient times remedy for skin care. Sandalwood and saffron intensify its benefits further. Yogurt transforms your skin into smooth texture and almonds provide essential skin friendly nutrients.
Soak 7-8 almonds overnight. Peel and grind them next morning. Mix it with ½ cup yogurt, 1-teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon sandalwood powder, 5 drops of freshly squeezed lemon juice and 4 saffron strands. Blend the mixture until it gets smooth. Transfer this cream into an airtight container and store it in a fridge. Wash your face and apply it every night before you sleep.
So, you can see that because of so many turmeric skin care benefits, turmeric has been used for ages in Arurvedic Skin Care beauty products.
Caution: Turmeric can stain your clothes. So, wear old tee shirt while applying turmeric recipes. It can stain your skin as well. But, the fact that most turmeric recipes include honey, milk or yogurt, etc., that is for a reason – one of these reasons is to prevent staining. And in case your skin is stained use this trick:
Mix water with sugar and scrub your skin or face with it. This magic trick will remove the turmeric stains from your skin. And bonus point is that sugar and water combination is a wonderful exfoliator. Your pores will get super clean.
Enjoy the above ayurvedic recipes to keep your skin young, glowing and spotless.