People with oily skin encounter many problems when it comes to makeup. Makeup on oily skin fades and melts away easily. It oxidizes too soon and causes many other problems, such as clogging of pores, etc. Just because you have oily skin does not mean you have to miss makeup. It’s a matter of knowing certain tips, tricks and tools that work for oily complexion.
We reached out to expert makeup artists and a dermatologist to find out expert solutions and advice for good makeup application on oily skin. Here are 10 best tips on oily skin makeup that help not only in preventing the shine but also help in controlling oil.
Good Makeup For Oily Skin
1. Always Prime Your Skin First: If you have oily skin, apply makeup primer after you’ve cleaned your face but before you put on foundation, powder, or other makeup. Using a makeup primer not only helps in better application of makeup by working as a base, but also works as a shielding layer between makeup and your skin, deterring the makeup from clogging the pores. It also ensures that your makeup stays put and lasts longer.
At least one should prime the oiliest areas, such as T-Zone (forehead, nose and chin).
Tips For Selecting Best Face Primer For Oily Skin: Look out for a face primer, which is:
(i) oil-free and anti-shine;
(ii) not a silicon based as oily skin tends to be very sensitive and silicon based products cause allergic reactions to such skin type, like leading to acne & pimples;
(iii) has salicylic acid as it helps in controlling acne and pimples.
2. Prep Your Eyes: To cut back on eye makeup creasing, avoid priming your eye lids, which many women with dark circles or redness are tempted to do. In its place, use a primer specifically meant for eyelids. This will establish a perfect base for eye shadow and liner while soaking up oils during the day.
3. Foundation: You need to take care while buying a foundation suitable for oily skin. Most foundations will fade or melt away easily and would need constant touch up.
Tips For Selecting Best Foundation For Oily Skin: The best foundation for oily skin is a powder based foundation as this keeps away shine and does not feel heavy on the skin. And for those who like a liquid foundation, we recommend a water based foundation or a mousse foundation that like the powder foundation works really well for oily skin. When buying a foundation, look for words like non comedogenic and mattifying.
4. Face Powder: Everyone with oily skin knows it’s key to keep powder with you at all times! It works to get rid of shine and sets the foundation to last longer. But don’t overdo it. Alternatively, you can just apply powder on areas that are shiny.
Tips For Selecting Best Powder For Oily Skin: Use a matte translucent formula as it can get rid of shine on any skin tone. Although both loose powder and pressed powder work fine on oily skin, one should always go for using loose powder as it does what a face powder is supposed to do without making your face oily. On the other hand, press powder are very handy to carry anywhere and do fast touch-ups.
5. Go For Matte Blushes: People who have oily skin are prone to shine all the time. So best for them is to use a matte blush instead of one with shimmer. Also since makeup tends to fade away very easily from oily skin, powder blush is likely to stay put longer on it than their cream counterparts. And if you like to use a cream blush then make sure to set it correctly.
6. Always Prefer Oil-free Makeups: As oily skin naturally releases more than required oil, use makeup products (particularly foundation and blush) that are oil-free and non-comedogenic, which means they will not clog skin pores. Also, go for facial cleansers and toners that contain glycolic acids, which help in getting rid of excess oil. You can also use those that are infused with salicylic acid, another good acid for oily skin.
Alternatively, you can consider using mineral makeups as they are made of inorganic minerals and are oil free, therefore ideal for oily skin.
7. Go For Minimum Layers Of Makeup: Oily skin is not at all a good base to wear makeup, therefore if you apply multiple layers on your face, it is sure to melt of or cake up. A great trick to eliminate oiliness in the skin is to reduce the number of layers of product you wear on your face.
Natural Beauty Tip: You can easily minimize the layers by switching to a tinted moisturizer that contains SPF.
8. Makeup Remover: Always keep in mind that it’s easier to apply makeup on any skin type if it’s cleansed properly. So always ensure that you clean your skin with an oil free cleanser and toner before applying any makeup.
9. Blotting Papers: Even if your makeup looks faultless and matte in the morning, but if your skin tends to be oily then you will spot shine by midday. The solution is to use blotting sheets.
Some types of blotting papers just lift the oil from your skin and others deposit a bit of powder to mop up the oil. The right technique of using blotting sheets without taking off all of your makeup is to press the sheet where the skin is oily and then roll it off your skin, instead of wiping oil from your skin.
10. Go For Long Wear: Both water and oil can do same things to your makeup. They can cause it to smear, smudge, or slip. So we recommend using eye products that are waterproof, water-resistant, or long-wear.
Natural Beauty Tip: Once or twice a week, use an oily skin treatment mask. Read here for Best Homemade Facial Masks For Oily Skin.
Useful Related Posts: