Home Remedies For Oily Hair – Treat Oily Hair and Oily Scalp
If you have Oily Hair, do not get frustrated. Follow these selected Oily Hair Home Remedies to treat your oily scalp and oily hair to make your hair look glossy and full of luster. But you must know, a little bit of oil is essential to protect your hair shafts from breaking, keep your scalp in good condition, and give your hair a nice, healthy-looking gloss. But if the oil secretion is more than needed, it can cause your hair to look greasy hair, lifeless, dull, and even smelly hair. If this is the case with you, what you need to do is follow the best Oily hair remedies given in this article.
What Causes Oily Hair
There is a misconception that eating greasy foods cause oily hair. Unless you actually touch your hair with greasy fingers, there is no proven connection between greasy food and oily hair. Several factors can cause Oily hair, including:
(i) Oily Scalp: Firstly you need to understand, oily hair is nothing but actually result of an oily scalp and that your hair does not produce oil but it is the scalp who is the culprit;
(ii) Heredity: If your mom or pop has Oily hair problem, chances are that you will have too;
(iii) Hormones: In adult women, it can be due to menstrual problem or using birth control pills;
(iv) Hair Texture: Fine hair is often oilier than coarse hair because fine hair takes up less room on the scalp which results in to your scalp having lots more strands of hair than the people with coarse hair. And the more hair there is, the more would be oil secretion because each follicle is supplied with two to three oil glands. And also on fine hair, a little bit of oil goes a long way;
(v) Straight Hair: The straight hair quickly carries the oil from scalp onto whole of the hair strand and cause Oily hair problem. Curly and coarse hair on the other hand tend to cause opposite problem of being dry and brittle, as the oil cannot easily moved throughout each hair strand as in case of straight hair; and
(vi) Using Steroids: Oily hair problem can be due to using of steroids to increase your body mass.
Oily Hair Home Remedies for Oily Scalp and Greasy Hair
The Oily Hair can be treated successfully with home remedies for Oily Hair. The most important thing is to know the simple fact that the root cause for Oily hair is Oily Scalp and that your hair does not produce any oil. So do not waste your time focusing on the greasy hair strand.
1. Go For Oily Scalp Treatment: Do not forget the first foremost Oily hair remedy is to treat your Oily Scalp rather than the Oily Hair. As said above, the culprit is your Oily Scalp and not your hair.
2. How to select a Shampoo for Oily Hair: First try using a good quality normal shampoo to avoid over drying of the scalp. If you feel it is not working then choose a shampoo that focuses on oily hair problem. These shampoos contain less conditioner and more cleaning agents to remedy oily hair. Normal hair requires a shampoo with a pH (which refers to its acid/base balance) between 4.5 and 6.7. On the other hand oily hair needs a more alkaline base product. Look for shampoos with a pH higher than 6.7. The best is to go for those that are labeled for use on oily hair.
3. Shampoo Every Day: For those who have oily hair, shampooing every day will not let oil built-up on the scalp resulting into greasy hair. An effective Oily Hair Remedy.
4. Oily hair does not need much conditioner: Conditioner can add additional oil to your already oily scalp. At the most use it once or twice a week. The other tricks are: One is to try to use 2-in-1 for oily hair. Second is to put a little bit of conditioner in your palm, then use your thumb to lift a segment of your hair, close your hand around it, and run it down the length of your hair.
5. Rinse thoroughly: Ensure that after shampooing you rinse off your hair thoroughly. Shampoo left if any will contribute into collection of dirt and oil more quickly on your scalp and hair. A good oily hair remedy to follow.
6. Don’t brush your hair too much: When you brush your hair, you pull oil out of your scalp and dispense the oil throughout your hair. So do it only when necessary.
Natural Beauty Tips – Few more Home Remedies for Oily Hair:
(i) Acidic Rinse with White Vinegar: After shampooing your hair, mix two tablespoons of white vinegar with a cup of water and rub it on your hair and rinse with water. This will help in reducing oil on your scalp.
(ii) Acidic Rinse with Lemon Juice: Follow the procedure as in (i). Only instead of White Vinegar, mix juice of two lemons (strained) with a cup of water.
(iii) Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple Cider vinegar rinse is helpful for oily hair. You can use diluted solution as a post-shampoo after conditioning rinse. Add ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar to a small basin of water and soak your hair in it. You can put the diluted solution in a spray bottle and spray your hair with it. Then wash it off with warm water.
(iv) Alcohol: Any kind of alcohol beverage has a drying effect on the hair. Add a few tablespoons of any alcohol beverage with a couple of cups of water and use it to cleanse your hair, and then wash off your hair with clean water.
(v) Beer: Beer too has a drying effect. It cleanse your hair as well as your scalp.
(vi) Tea: Tea contains tannic acid, which acts as an astringent. Rinse your hair with diluted tea to treat your oily hair.
(v) Homemade Best Shampoo for oily hair: Use your normal shampoo and add to it one tablespoon of lemon juice and a teaspoon of Aloe Vera Gel. Blend this mixture. Wash your hair with this mixture and then rinse off your hair thoroughly.
Follow the above outlined Oily hair remedies to treat your oily hair and oily scalp and make your hair look glossy and full of luster.
Other useful related topics: