The onset of summer brings fun time and beauty woes together. Although, the summers are for being outdoors but you’re worried for your skin. Many people love summer but hate the tan lines!
Summers can be lots of fun!! Basking on the beaches, going fishing, or simply having fun with friends in the warm and sunny weather. But regrettably, the unwelcome effect is discernible within a few days – a tanned skin.
Dark tan lines, which sometimes are accompanied by itching or burning sensation, or even sunburns, can ruin your summer-fun. So, what is the solution? We have talked to the experts and compiled the best sun tan removal home remedies that will surely soothe your skin and help you get rid of that nasty tan.
Skin Tan Removal At Home Best Home Remedies
Not many know that sugar works as the best cleansing agent while lemon juice helps reduce tanning. Buttermilk soothes and softens the skin, while coconut water brings a glow to the skin. Read on here for the Granny’s quick and convenient homemade remedies to remove sun tan at home.
1. Cucumber: Cucumber contains skin-cooling properties, which soothe skin and help reduce suntan. Its vitamin C content also helps to maintain the skin well moisturized.
(i) Cucumber Juice, Lemon Juice and Rose Water: Blend one tablespoon each of these 3 ingredients in a bowl and apply it generously on your tanned skin. Whereas, the lemon juice helps remove tan, the rose water and cucumber work as cooling agents.
(ii) Another option is to combine 2 tablespoons of fresh cucumber juice and 1 tablespoon of lime or lemon juice. Add a pinch of turmeric powder to it. Mix the three ingredients thoroughly. Apply it on the tanned skin areas, leaving it on for about 30 minutes. When done, rinse it off with cool water.
(iii) A super easy way is to rub freshly cut slices of cucumber on your skin.
Read here for cool-cool cucumber skin toner recipe.
2. Lemon Juice: Lemon is great for treating sun-tanned skin because of its natural bleaching properties.
(i) Cut a lemon and rub a slice on your tanned skin. Rinse your face with cold water after about 10 minutes. Alternatively, you can simply apply some fresh lemon juice on the tanned skin area, let it dry out and then rinse it off with cool water.
(ii) Sugar-Lemon Pack: Sugar is considered as one of the best cleansing and exfoliating agents. Add some sugar to lemon juice and apply the mixture on your face and the affected areas. Let it sit there for about 25 minutes, and then rinse it off.
Natural Beauty Tip: If you have dry skin, then add a few drops of glycerin to the mixture.
(iii) Honey-Lemon Juice Pack: Mix two teaspoons of organic honey with a one-teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice. Apply the mixture on the affected area twice a day, leaving it on for 5 minutes. Rinse it off with cold water.
3. Yogurt / Curd Tan Removal Packs: Plain yogurt / curd is very effective in reducing sun tan because it cools the skin, minimizes redness and tightens the pores as well.
(i) This is an old time remedy. My granny used to apply a pack made of gram flour, limejuice and plain curd / yogurt on her face to get a glowing skin. You can apply this mixture on the affected areas regularly to remove skin tanning.
(ii) You can also mix well together a cup of plain yogurt and juice of one cucumber and one tomato. Also add in 1/2 cup of gram flour (besan), and stir well all the ingredients. Apply it on your sun-tanned face, neck and other sun-exposed skin areas. Let it sit for 30 minutes and then rinse it off with cool water.
(iii) You can also simply apply some fresh plain yogurt on your skin every day before taking bath. For best results, add tomato juice and limejuice to the plain yogurt.
(iv) Orange Juice and Yogurt: Combine 1 tablespoon of orange juice with plain yogurt or curd to make a smooth mixture. Apply it on to tanned skin areas, leaving it on for about 30 minutes. When done, rinse it off with cool water.
(v) Plain Yogurt And Tomato Extract: Blend well 1 tablespoon each of fresh tomato puree and plain yogurt. Apply the pack on the tanned skin, leaving it on for about 30 minutes. Rinse it off with water cool water.
4. Oats-Buttermilk Pack: Oatmeal contains skin-soothing properties and also acts as an amazing exfoliant to cleanse the pores. Oatmeal powder can be used in a couple of ways to reduce a sun tan.
(i) Mix well 3 tablespoons of buttermilk with 2 tablespoons of oats. Apply it on your face and tanned skin area. Massage gently using your fingertips in circular movements. While buttermilk soothes and softens the skin, the oats help in exfoliating the skin. So, overall this mixture is extremely beneficial to your skin.
(ii) Another option is to prepare a paste with oatmeal, ground almonds, ground dried orange peel and milk. Apply the pack on the affected areas, leaving it on for 30 minutes. Then rinse it off with cold water.
5. Aloe Vera Gel: It is a great natural ingredient to soothe and lighten skin. Moreover, It cleanses and nourishes the skin.
Simply apply fresh aloe vera gel on the affected skin areas before going to bed. In the morning, rinse the skin thoroughly.
6. Honey And Ripe Papaya: Mash up about half a cup of fully ripe papaya and mix well with one-tablespoon organic honey. Apply the mixture onto the tanned skin areas, leaving it on for about 30 minutes. Rinse it off with cold water.
7. Potato: Raw potato is an effective home treatment for tanned skin. Because of its high vitamin c content, it acts as natural bleach. Bonus point is that it also helps soothe sunburn.
(i) Peel the skin off 2-3 medium-sized potatoes, cut them into small pieces and blend them in a blender until you get a smooth paste. Apply the paste generously all over the tanned skin areas, leaving it on to dry out for about 30 minutes. When done, rinse it off with cool water.
(ii) Potato Juice and Lemon Juice: A more effective remedy is to extract the juice from a medium potato and mix it with one tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice. Apply on the affected skin areas. Let it sit for about, 30 minutes and rinse it off with cool water.
8. Sandalwood: Sandalwood is a common ingredient in many skin care products. It has skin lightening properties, thus can be used for removing suntan. Bonus point is that it cleanses your skin, so helps you keep a glowing complexion.
(i) Combine 3 parts of sandalwood powder with 1 part of pure turmeric powder. Add some rose water to the powder-mix and stir well to make a thick paste. Apply the paste on the affected areas, leaving it on for 30 minutes to dry out. Wash it off using cold water.
(ii) You can also combine sandalwood powder with organic coconut oil and almond oil to make a thick paste. Apply it onto the tanned skin areas for about 30 minutes, and then wash it off with cold water.
(iii) Sandalwood Powder and Coconut Water: Mix one tablespoon sandalwood powder with coconut water to make a thick paste and apply on tanned areas. Let it sit for 10 minutes and then wash it off with cold water.
(iv) An easy way is to apply sandalwood paste every night before you sleep. Rinse it off the following morning.
9. Almond: A pack made from almonds can cleanse, scrub and lighten your skin tone.
Soak 6 almonds in water for 12 hours. When done, blend the almonds with some milk to make a smooth paste. At night before you sleep apply the pack on the tanned skin areas and leave it on overnight. In the following morning, rinse it off with cold water. Do this daily for the 2 weeks and then repeat it twice a week.
10. Milk: Milk or milk cream can also be used for treating sun-tanned skin.
(i) Milk Cream and Strawberries: Mash 5 ripe strawberries and mix well with 2 tablespoons of milk cream. Apply it generously on tanned skin areas, leaving it on for about 30 minutes. Rinse it off with cold water.
(ii) Turmeric And Milk: Mix well a small amount of milk with a pinch of turmeric powder and some lemon juice. Apply this solution on the affected areas and allow it to dry completely. Then rinse it off with cold water. Read here to learn how to use turmeric for skin care.
11. Pineapple Pulp and Honey: Mix some pulp of a ripe pineapple with about one tablespoon of organic honey. Apply it on tanned areas generously. Rinse it off with cold water after 30 minutes.
12. Gram Flour: Bengal Gram flour is very beneficial in treating sun tanning because it helps remove dead skin cells and leaves your skin bright and young. You can buy the gram flour powder from market or make a paste of whole green gram.
Bengal Gram Flour and Turmeric: Mix a pinch of turmeric powder with 2 tablespoons of Bengal gram flour. Mix in some milk and one-tablespoon rose water. Rub it all over the affected skin area, leaving it there for about 20 minutes. Wash it off with cold water. Do this twice a week.
13. Milk Powder And Honey Pack: Make a paste by mixing well equal amount of milk powder, lemon juice (freshly squeezed), sweet almond oil and honey. Message it gently on the sun-tanned skin areas, leaving it on for at least 20 minutes. It will help reduce tan. You can store it in a fridge for a week. If you have time, use it thrice a day for improved results.
Natural Beauty Tip: For best results, use rose water instead of plain water in the above remedies.
What remedy you use to remove sun-tanning? Please share your tricks with our readers under the comments below.